1976 Camaro - Dream car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bad436z28
again it depends what transmission u decide to run,gearing is one of the first things i would do.if a 3 or 4speed is useda 3.73 would be perfect,would give u a good balance between acceleration and performance on the road.if u go with a 5 speed then i would choose a 3.42 will make it more driveable,changing transmission is easy,would be a good start to learning how to repair ur car.also while ur at it install about a 2000 rpm torque converter.
You've got it backwards. If he goes to a 5 spd. he'll have overdrive, so he can run a 3.73 easier. if he stays with a 3-4 spd. he would be better off with the higher ratio 3.42 gears.
Changing trans from 3 to 4 spd is easy, but to a 5 spd is a lot more work, with lots of changes to make it work in a 2nd gen Camaro.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I know a guy who owns one of the Camaros from the movie Yes he actually has Bumble Bee in his garage Message me and ill get you in touch with him.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM

So many replies! You guys are awesome, thanks for the help. And I will reply privately shortly, but at work atm. Didn't wanna just remain inactive though.

Thanks again, cant wait to talk to that BumbleBee owner! :O

Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see a European getting a Camaro. Whenever my sis goes out there she says all they have is classic Mustangs. Last year when I was 19, I was trying to find my dream car a 70-73 Camaro. Settled on the '74 fell in love with the. big bumper. One day I'll have a '70-'73 Camaro.

One question tho. Wasn't the Bumble Bee in Transformers '77? They sold the car eBay for charity in 2007 and I know I saw it advertised as a '77. But I do get answers sayin it was a '76, and some saying it was a '77.

If I were you go with the '77. They sold so many of them, so they'll be easier to find, they have more power (the 75-76 were made during the gas crisis here in America that meant less horsepower unless you sup it up), and seeing the '77 was the first car to beat the Mustang in sales they're more collectable.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Hey dude, thanks for the advice. And like most idk wether its a 76 or a 77 either, but if there is any difference between the two its so small most can't tell, obviously lol. So yea as Camaros in general are so rare here in England it'll probably fall down to whatever one I can get ahold of, which you say is the 77 and I'm fine with that .

Looking forward to getting my Cam and taking it to some car shows, never really been a big fan of car shows, been to one or two. But I've never been to American car shows. We've got a dragstrip here called Santa Pod that hosts loads of shows and usually there's some sort of open track day so you can take your car up the 1/4 mile. Looking forward to trying that

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL In the US we go down the 1/4 mile. Speaking of that. I was watching Wheeler Dealers last night. They bought a 70' Charger to "fix". Anyhow when they were done they to it to the track. It went 18 sec. on the first pass and the mechanic got it to 17 flat. They were amazed at how fast it was. I once saw a bone stock F350 four door diesel run 18's all day while the driver sipped a cup of coffee.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A ... 'bumble bee'.

Hey mate, I lived in england for 5 years... went to a british school...I really loved the pancake days... to me it was more about eating as many as I could (lol)...and seeing castles. I went to feltwell and before that some school in the countryside I don't remember...but anyways- this is an extraordinary idea you have about making your dream ride a reality. Question 1) Do you plan to drive it or have it in a glass case?
2) What are your performance goals or driving needs?
3) Show quality or good enough or an exact duplicate of the rusty movie car?
4) what kind of wheels? 15's or 17's or rodder style 20"+ rear and 15" upfront?
5) What do you want it to look like? Like a clean sharp shiny camaro? Maybe monochromatic scheme (complete without tacky door chrome trim that augments the door parting line) or with cheap add on sticky chrome and stickers, 3 antennas and other fake crap?
6) You said something about yellow, so why not go a custom yellow color like candy chrome metallic yellow, you want stripes? where should they start or stop and the spacing ...I like mine at the edge and unlike gm put them over the roof, not just hood and spoiler. check out my avatar- my car isn't there yet but will be. sorry for ditzy punctuation.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeromaro
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see a European getting a Camaro. Whenever my sis goes out there she says all they have is classic Mustangs.
If I were you go with the '77. They sold so many of them, so they'll be easier to find, they have more power (the 75-76 were made during the gas crisis here in America that meant less horsepower unless you sup it up), and seeing the '77 was the first car to beat the Mustang in sales they're more collectable.
This is a good point. It has not been a concern because I build the engines the way I want, and I get better than stock gas mileage.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 AM

Hey ZL1. First things first. I'm the same with pancake days lol. When I vistsed America I was visiting a friend, but other then that it was about eating lots of American food, admiring how many muscle cars I saw on the road. I even went to a dealership for Chevy and touched a Camaro for my first time. It was the 2010 but I love that one too.

Anyways, ill try to answer all your questions. I'm at work and on my phone, but I'm ill so I can use a break lol.

1) I want to drive it, everyday possible. I'll keep my Golf for practibilty purposes. But likelihood is I'll drive my Camaro to college, to my friends, and I'll probably just go for drives in general. I don't understand why someone would keep their dream car locked up away from the world.
2) I'm not expecting much performance wise. If I could just give the engine some loving care and get it running like the day it was built that'd be good enough for me. I'm only 19 atm, so I'm not gonna get insured easily if it's modified a lot. The 1970 specs and speeds will suit me great. (For now haha)
3) I want it to be gorgeous, but only by my standards. I love the car, it could be rusty duplicate or show quality and I'd love it all the same. I want it to be mainly rust free (must be hard with an old car?) And I'd like a nice paint job on it. It'll be perfect for me, but by a judges standards it won't be all that.
4) I havnt thought much about the wheels. I like the idea of having slightly lowered at the front, I don't would huge wheels, but I'm not a big fan of old wheels either. Probably just something simple and suiting, nothing glamourous.
5) I want it to look like a standard car. You know how any car looks when it comes out the factory, pretty standard, but new. I don't have the money to buy a pristine show car. Hmm, basically like in the movie, but without the rust and a fresher paint job. No excessive glamour or chroming, no stickers in the windows or tinting. I want a bumblebee, but a clean one.
6) I don't know too much about paint, but I like the job I saw on youtube of some guys who restored one, ill find the link when I'm on a PC. But basically it's two black stripes down the middle of the car, hood roof and trunk (used American words for ya'll ) and a Viper Yellow base. The two black stripes had a small black outline around them, about an inch or two away. Sounds weird, but I can't describe it too well, I'll find the link.

Descrbing my dream car is fun, giving details like that makes it feel so real, I can't wait lol.

I hope the paragraph format comes out OK, as I said. Typed it all on my Blackberry and it sucks.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 AM

I found the video I mentioned. It's a group of guys that restored a Camaro and made Bumblebee. It was a 1974, but the work is the part of the video I loved.

Camaro Restoration #2 - YouTube

That there is basically my dream. Right now I don't have the expertise or cash to do such a thing. And I'm going to college in September to study for like 6 years to be a Lawyer lol... but maybe one day I'll be able to do that too.

This video shows you what paint I wanted done though, especially the stripes with the little outlining bit. I'm not sure wether I'd run the stripes over the roof or not, probably not.

Quick Reply: 1976 Camaro - Dream car.