1971 Camaro Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Default 1971 Camaro Questions

I bought a Numbers matching 1971 project car on sunday and I was wondering if you guys could suggest some parts.

1. I'm planning on doing all bushings so I'm looking for a reasonably priced kit. This car is going to be a budget restore and turned into my daily driver.

2. I need to replace springs, shocks, and all other suspension pieces. Parts recommended here are greatly appreciated. Nastyz28 has been down for like 2 days and I need answers . There are just so many brands of shocks and stuff and I need a decent ride.

3. Car does not have power breaks so what exactly would I need to rig up a breakbooster in a non-power break car?

4. Steering upgrades?

5. Cheapest place to buy Autometer guages.

Thank you all very much. I'm 16 so I don't know as much as I like about cars and i've been researching this for about 3 months now and there are just so many decisions, I need some help . Working on a budget too so don't forget that unfortunate part ;].
-Dennis[8D]

Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 1971 Camaro Questions

Staying stock builds in reliability, cost effectiveness, and ease of maintanence. Before I say anymore, I need to ask who's footin the bill for this car and how much is the current budget?. Being 16 I doubt you make enough cash to afford a restoration.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM

I'm footing the bill and im not sure on my budget...probally around a grand. maybe a couple hundred over.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear member

lemme just tell you bub....there aint no thing as a budget restore...at all. im doen my motheres original 79...i mean i droped in a 350 with some goodies cause i had the cash and i figure hey itll be hell of a lot faster...and it is. fastest car ive every drivin...but lemme tell you. one thing after another after another breaks and or needs replacing...so just be prepaird to spend alot alot alot of green...(cars arnt cheap) but hey. if u got it. more power 2 ya!!!! but as for brands...u cant go wrong with a pair of monroe shocks. u can get them at almost any parts store...as for the booster...thats not easy or cheap...id maybee just upgrade 2 a dual chamber master and call it a day...the boosters are like 100 bucks so its not that bad...but i dunno...and prolly summit for the gauges...sorry man i dont mean to come off as a ****..im goen threw the same thing. its not fun. hopefully the body is better on yours. i gotta buy some fenders and stuff...anyway bro . good luck and post some pics!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Yeah and I'm not doing a "restoration". I'm basically building a good daily driver. .
I have about 4k to spend left. I already have the car ( great body), exhaust, engine, and tranny.

I need interior pieces (seats and carpet) , suspension, brakes and some tires.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:06 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

[>:]Fast, Reliable, Cheap you can only have two. Damn laws of nature.[:@][:@][:@]

Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM

Well what suspension kit and bushings kit is rather in the medium between stock replacements and expensive aftermarket?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I use http://energysuspension.com/orhttp://www.p-s-t.com/ for my frame bushings.

Iuse Autozone/ Checker etclifetime warranty suspension parts.

G

Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, I have about $1800 just in restoreing the suspention on mine. The only aftermarket upgrade is a set of polygraphite control arm bushings. everything else is Moog lifetime replacement stock setup including springs. New 5leaf springs for the rear w/shackles and spring pads for the diff. That's parts only, I'm the installer. as for the power brakes, Ive done a couple conversions, all you need is a power brake master and booster. Most are a bolt in, if not, just make one fit the other with a drill. Pull vacuum off the intake route it through a check valve and you have brakes. The prop valve will work, I've done it. You should have the quick ratio steering box unless you don't have power steering. If thats the case you need to find a box off a P/S car.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rat454

Iuse Autozone/ lifetime warranty suspension parts.

I try my best to stay away from AutoZone. I've bought too much junk from them.
Then you might want to ask them their definition of 'lifetime'.....might be a lil different than you or I might interpet. They're take on it is that once they replace the part ONCE, it has lasted its 'lifetime'.

On the other hand in the middle 70's I bought a JC Penny 'forever' battery for my Camaro ($45). I'm on my fifth battery and they have tried again and again to 'buy back' the warranty from me. So far, so good!!

Quick Reply: 1971 Camaro Questions