1970 camaro in body shop need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I think the were probably dealer installed Vall. BTW one "L" or two? Its been buggin me.
Well it's been two "L"s for 5 generations. Funny part is I can write it with two L's and people will still write me back with one, like I didn't know how to spell my name right.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Overdrive Member

WeLL I'm gLLad we got that cLLeared up.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what ever you do,dont let the body shop use that 2 part crap on your car!! go to any parking lot and see how every car there is got that sunburn peely crap paint?? clear coat will not stay where you put it .instead opt for what is called single stage paint or also acrylic enamel it stays right where you spray it

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rusty vango
what ever you do,dont let the body shop use that 2 part crap on your car!! go to any parking lot and see how every car there is got that sunburn peely crap paint?? clear coat will not stay where you put it .instead opt for what is called single stage paint or also acrylic enamel it stays right where you spray it
Where do you come up with this stuff? The highest quality paint jobs done are two part with a base-clear coat. Some factory paint jobs have had issues with base-clear where the clear let go, but it's rarely seen in aftermarket paint jobs, due to the pains good shops take when doing paint.
A single stage paint job can also look great, but they're more apt to go bad sooner than a base-clear paint job. The shop that did my "2 part crap" paint job guarantees a single stage paint job for 8 yrs, but a base clear is guaranteed for 20 yrs.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Overdrive Member

What ever you inhailed, blow that chit out. Single stage paint is ancient technology. Take the time to know more than what you heard with a statement like that.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well,im a painter for 20 plus years.and yes single stage paint is "ancient technology" but so what so am i !! the thing is this modern 2 part paint is not durable,clear coat just dont hold up, its soft and fragile. the reason i reccomend acrylic enamel is its a proven system it stays nice when cared for as long as the shop does proper surface prep its the way to go IMHO

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

well,im a painter for 20 plus years.and yes single stage paint is "ancient technology" but so what so am i !! the thing is this modern 2 part paint is not durable,clear coat just dont hold up, its soft and fragile. the reason i reccomend acrylic enamel is its a proven system it stays nice when cared for as long as the shop does proper surface prep its the way to go IMHO
Yeah it's great, that's why Earl Scheib, Maaco, and Miracle all use single stage paint.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Yeah it's great, that's why Earl Scheib, Maaco, and Miracle all use single stage paint.
Some of those places will paint your car with two stage if you pay more. Years ago, I had a buddy (an excellent painter) paint one of my old Vettes in my garage, using single stage Centari. I then proceeded to spend a week doing the color sanding and buffing. The car turned out like glass, so I have nothing against the quality of single stage. One of the nice things with single stage though, is you can spot fix an "oops", which I had a couple while sanding, and it will be invisible. That's something you can't do with base/clear. Just try to spray a little spot fix, and the clear absolutely will leave a halo around the edge after it's sanded and buffed out. A whole panel needs to be repainted to just fix a little scratch. Both paints have their pluses and minuses.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

A good painter can fix a base-clear and blend it, without having a "halo" around the edge. It's a lot easier to paint a whole panel than do this, but I've seen the guy who did my car blend in panels and it looks perfect.
He does so by diluting the base coat once the spot has been painted, and continuing to dilute it as he blends the spot into the adjoining panels. Once it's all blended it requires a clear coat over the whole area, plus scuffing and clearing the adjoining areas too.
If my only reason to use a single stage was for ease of repair, it wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to use it. My previous paint job on the '71 was a Dupont Centari single stage, and although it stayed beautiful and shiny, it was garaged all the time, so not exposed to elements. As glossy and smooth as I thought it was, it didn't come close to the present base-clear that is on my car now. It was probably close to what I had before they cut and buffed my paint though.
I worked for Cadillac back when they were all laquer paint jobs, which were single stage, but laquer is a total different paint, and it too was easy to cut and buff, plus extremely easy to repair. If we still had the ability to purchase the old laquer paints, I'd go that as a single stage paint in a second!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have heard some say that while a single stage is better for originality, if you are doing a metallic like citrus green it is better to go 2 stage. True or false. Im wondering because I want to get mine repainted soon and prefer single stage but have been cautioned since it will be metallic.

Last edited by Bamaro; 07-21-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 camaro in body shop need advice