ooooops!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Default ooooops!

Ok, Here is my problem, New rebuilt 383 stroker. went to put oil in to turn the oil pump and prelube engine. Oil was put into the upper radiator hose inlet I know really stupid but happened. The oil was flushed out threw the thermostat housing in top of manifold. after oil was rinsed out thinking I would help a little I shot air from the compressor to get the rest of the water out. The water pump is not on the motor I inserted the air hose high into the waterpump jackets and blew the water out. When I took the air hose line out of the block the rubber cap from the end was no longer there. this cap is about 1/2" round and tapered and is now somewhere in the water jackets of the motor. I know this can't be left in the water jackets but don't know how to remove it and I don't know where it is. What if anything can I do? I know this will plug somewhere and restrict water flow or will it just be forced out the water pum when installed and running I really feel stupid so please don't be to hard on me just give me some help.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I would look for some one with a borescope camera or get a flexible retrieval tool and just fish around a while. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails ooooops!-mini-usb-waterproof-endoscope-borescope-snake-inspection-camera-1.jpg.jpg   ooooops!-0008484_300.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With your water neck removed, run water from your garden hose into the intake. With any kind of luck, the rubber tip might float out the front.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
With your water neck removed, run water from your garden hose into the intake. With any kind of luck, the rubber tip might float out the front.
this is what I was thinking. I figured it should float so why not float it up and out.

sorry to hear you had this problem man. dont feel bad, we all screw up eventually no matter how smart we think we are. Ive learned to slow down a little and think things through before I just jump in and go at something. hope you get it straightened out. give us an update when you figure something out. Im curious to see how this turns out. good luck.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Default Possible Damage

Ok thanks for the responses and do whatever to try and solve my problem. I did put another tim in water to see if it would float it did not. I beleive that the tip is at the bottom just under the left waterpump jacket. I was wondering if I take the freeze plug on that side out will I be able to see inside the block or is it just a small cavity like behind the waterpump jacket hole. And last what can happen if it is not found? The water jackets are separated from the oil jackets arnt they? Can this hurt anything? Could it just pass through the waterpump and into the radiator? Any answers?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no way I would try to pump it out with the motor into the radiator. I would call a few mach shops and see if they have any ideas, I bet this is not the first time they have had to fish out something from a motor.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

thats a good one. question... are you really really sure the rubber tip was on there in the first place?
if its not found?... well, it could get lodged in the radiator or even in the heater core.. causing all kinds of hate and discontent. It could begin to melt and clog up the water pump (solving your 'where did it go' mystery). Alot of bad could happen if you leave it.... very little good.