Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   67-69 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-v8-tech-50/)
-   -   Location of water temp sensor (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-v8-tech-50/location-water-temp-sensor-80092/)

Robert Kendall 05-27-2016 09:12 AM

Location of water temp sensor

Recently purchased a 68 with 327. Car has no coolant temp sensor, not even a dummy light. I want to install one, but not sure where it attaches. Any help?

Camaro 69 05-27-2016 09:47 AM

Drivers side head, between exhaust ports. If not a sending unit there, there would be a plug.
Although that's the "factory" location, I have a different outlook and prefer it to be in the intake manifold. Because of radiant heat from the exhaust manifold/headers, and the nature of the beast where the heads are the hottest part of the engine, the head location will read hotter than what the overall engine temperature actually is. Sending unit in the head reads head temperature, in the intake manifold is more realistic to reading the actual temperature of the coolant that's flowing through the engine.
Take it for what it's worth, depends on what you want to monitor.

Everett#2390 05-27-2016 12:09 PM

Check instrument cluster for missing/removed TEMP light bulb.
Correct as to 69 suggests and the cylinder head would be where the thermal switch is located.
TEMP light gets a bulb check when ign switch is in START position - TEMP light should come on.
Look for a light green wire in engine harness - ground the lead and light should be lit.

Robert Kendall 05-30-2016 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 711320)
Drivers side head, between exhaust ports. If not a sending unit there, there would be a plug.
Although that's the "factory" location, I have a different outlook and prefer it to be in the intake manifold. Because of radiant heat from the exhaust manifold/headers, and the nature of the beast where the heads are the hottest part of the engine, the head location will read hotter than what the overall engine temperature actually is. Sending unit in the head reads head temperature, in the intake manifold is more realistic to reading the actual temperature of the coolant that's flowing through the engine.
Take it for what it's worth, depends on what you want to monitor.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Makes me REALLY nervous driving without temp indication.

Robert Kendall 05-30-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Everett#2390 (Post 711327)
Check instrument cluster for missing/removed TEMP light bulb.
Correct as to 69 suggests and the cylinder head would be where the thermal switch is located.
TEMP light gets a bulb check when ign switch is in START position - TEMP light should come on.
Look for a light green wire in engine harness - ground the lead and light should be lit.

Thanks. When the key is turned on, all I get is a GEN light. I suspect a bunch of little problems in the dash, as the radio is inop, and the light in the footwell stays on. Oh well, it gives me an excuse to hang out in the garage :icon_eddie:

Everett#2390 05-30-2016 08:05 AM

Also, with key on, engine off, OIL light should be lit as well as GEN light