Heater Core ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Heater Core ???-img_4599%5B2973%5D.jpg

Heater Core ???-img_4598%5B2974%5D.jpg

Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, heater core came out pretty easy. Lol. Probably been touched before as the ac/heater casing wasn't install all the way prior to it's arrival at my place. =) The bottom 3 bolts didn't go thru the fire wall. Looks like they got hung up on the floor padding.
Anyway, I need to swing in and check on a price to have it either rodded out or re-cored. OR just buy a new AM replacement and stick it back in.
Hopefully it won't take long and I can put the interior back together.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Picked up my motor/crank last night. 2nd round at the machine shop. Boy I don't like these guys, but whatever. The BBC is going to a different machine shop.

So, they cleaned my block again. Crappy, but oh well. Align bored the block & caps. Which was off per the owner. So "why" didn't they do it the first time? I had the crank re-polished (thank you) and when I went to pick it up I almost fell over. They charged me a leg. The "owner" (dad) said he'd take care of a couple of things since I spent so much only a few month ago. Then the "son" was there when I picked it up. YIKES! But I wanted all of my stuff back.
Anyway, the clean up will have to wait until next week when I get back from Street Vibrations up in Reno this weekend. I'm talking all 3 Harleys up and hoping to only bring 1 back. LOL.
We'll see what happens. BUT, the motor will get double attention when I get back. I need that darn thing on the road. Guess I'll even put the new rear end in at the same time.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Dang, what a PITA on this heater core. I got it out fairly easy, but going back in is a pain. I didn't pull the blower motor as I didn't pull the fender. I unbolted it from the engine side, then dropped it out on the pass floor. NOW going back in I can barely get the core bibs (hose extensions) into the firewall before it stops because the bolts are a 1/4"off due to the bibs not going in thru the wall all of the way. Sooooooo your saying I have to pull the cover off the engine side completely? This is going to suck ... that plus I'm by myself today so I can't get any help to pull on one side while I push on the other.

Guess I'm just checking that I really need to pull the cover on the engine side to truly do this.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-09-2017, 03:55 PM
4th Gear Member

There may not be an OE core. I never had to remove blower side.
These might help. 67 from Service manual, 68 from AIM
Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Heater Core ???-67-heater.jpg   Heater Core ???-68-heater.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have never removed the blower side to install a new heater core !!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my manual doesn't say anything about pulling the blower side off. I've tried to loosen it, but don't really want to mess with it. The 2 core pipes (bibs?) are only about 1/2" out of the holes. The case bolts need to "slide down" towards the fender about 1/4" to fit. So I'm on my way out right now to pull the case back out and try to fit it in again. Son didn't make it the other night to help "pull" the pipes as I slid the case down. Like I said eariler - it's a 1 man show around here. Now I'm losing light so I've got to go.

I'll let you know once it's done. Or at least back where it is right now. LOL

Damn, I've GOT to get this car done and on the road before the rains come. Then I can swap in the new rear end and the pro touring front suspension. I guess. =)

Old 10-13-2017, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Good luck - picture?

Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My son is stopping by in 30 mins or so, he's going to try and help me on the other side of the firewall.
I'll take some pics if it doesn't go any further.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, after about 15 mins of wiggling the inner case, it went on. Had to buy new twist nuts. The prior owner only had the top 2 bolts thru the firewall. I have them all. =)

Now it's time to put the motor back together and get it in the car.

Quick Reply: Heater Core ???