Car is cold natured and why no t-stat!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Default Car is cold natured and why no t-stat!

I just bought a 69 camaro and thisis my first carb'd car. So here is my deal. The car is really cold naturred until after like 10 min of driving up until then when you come to a stop it tries to go dead . The previous owner put ina aluminum radiator and said the t-stat he had fluctuated a lot so he just ran it without one. I prefer to have one in there and think it may soe how affect the cold start but not sure. Also on carb cars are you suppost to pump the pedal several times before cranking??? Right now I just turn over the key and start patting pedal to crank it!! I need to do a tune up also. Any plugs recomended?

Car details 350 .30over
4 bolt main
194 ported and polished heads
Lunati 480 cam
10 1/2 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock air gap manifold with 750 dual feed vacumn secondary carb
Muncie M21 4 sp.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12657/00AFBC2B66A24DB6BB8F785A50A0F731.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Car is cold natured and why no t-stat!

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the pic, nice ride.

With your set up its going to sound like it want to die, this is from the cam, without knowing the numbers I cant say for sure but when you add the cam and the larger carb I would say the experiance you are having is probably normal.
As far as 'pumping' the pedal, this is an old car, and unless almost all the components in the mill are new this will happen - I would recommend having the choke (if there is one) a good once over.
A good tune up will give you a better idea of what might be wrong.
As far as plugs go .... do you know the compression, any head work, what kind of fuel? Plug choice should depend on a few factors, they are heat rated and for maximum potential/tune the right ones can be determined by these variables - other wise get the most expensive ones

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Car details 350 .30over
4 bolt main
194 ported and polished heads
Lunati 480 cam
10 1/2 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock air gap manifold with 750 dual feed vacumn secondary carb
Muncie M21 4 sp.

I run 93 octane

Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Do you know the specs of the cam?

Just based off that I would say the sound is normal for a cammed mill.
The choke is there (among other reasons..) to be used in colder weather, it adjusts the volume in the carbs to compensate for the vapor of the fual air mixture in the cold. If you have to pump the pedal the choke might be faulty - or its just because its a carb on an older car.

There could be other things going on too, once the solid tune up is done there will be more data to filter to get a better idea.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You absolutely want to have a thermostat in place. A stat doesn't have an effect on cold engine starting, but it will alter your engine's current bahavior since the t-stat will change the way your engine heats up, and stays cool.
With the stat out and driving in cool weather, the engine will take forever, or may never get up to full running temperature.
With the stat in place while driving in severe heat, the coolant remains in the radiator (when the stat is closed) so that the radiator can do it's job of cooling the coolant back down before the coolant in the engine gets up to temp and opens the stat again.
Running in the hot summer heat without a stat can cause the engine to overheat since the coolant isn't in the radiator long enough to cool back down sufficiently.
So, you can now see how important that small piece of metal can be.
Put in a thermostat before farting around with anything else. It could be that your choke isn't opening up fully because it thinks you still have a bone-cold engine when you actually don't, and now you're running too rich. If your's is a fair-weather driver, a 180 degree stat will work well.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

You absolutely want to have a thermostat in place. A stat doesn't have an effect on cold engine starting, but it will alter your engine's current bahavior since the t-stat will change the way your engine heats up, and stays cool.
With the stat out and driving in cool weather, the engine will take forever, or may never get up to full running temperature.
With the stat in place while driving in severe heat, the coolant remains in the radiator (when the stat is closed) so that the radiator can do it's job of cooling the coolant back down before the coolant in the engine gets up to temp and opens the stat again.
Running in the hot summer heat without a stat can cause the engine to overheat since the coolant isn't in the radiator long enough to cool back down sufficiently.
So, you can now see how important that small piece of metal can be.
Put in a thermostat before farting around with anything else. It could be that your choke isn't opening up fully because it thinks you still have a bone-cold engine when you actually don't, and now you're running too rich. If your's is a fair-weather driver, a 180 degree stat will work well.
Exactly! No matter how many times repeted, there are still people that insist in removing t'stats and then complain about driveability. As for "cold natured", engines have no nature, they are machines. LOL

Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 PM

You definitely should have a thermostat. In the 34 years I have been driving I had many carbureted cars. I always pumped the gas pedal 3 times when starting a cold engine. In fact if it has an automatic choke you must depress the gas pedal at least once to activate the choke.