Can't Start Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Can't Start Motor?

This is my first post here. I am having huge issues with trying to get my motor fired up.

Here is what happened:
I had a new stroker motor built for me. We hooked up a Vintage Air kit and a March front runner kit. I also slapped on a new Holley double pumper. Everything else (electronics) are reused from prior to motor rebuild. The car started up first time. We ran it for about 20 minutes to break in the new rings then shut her off. Two days later we went to fire it up. I have been trying to start the car up for the last 3 days now.

What I have tried:
It sounds like there is no spark. I pulled one plug and saw that it was fouled out (too rich). I put the old Holley back on that worked fine. I still can't get the car running. I replaced the plugs with all new ones (yes, they are all gapped).

The starter turns over the motor. I checked the valves twice already. I checked the position of the distributor 3 times now. It feels like I am not getting spark but when I do the spark plug on the valve cover test it get plenty of spark. I even replaced the ignition control module (I have an HEI and the ignition control module caused this same problem before) and still no luck.

The motor just turns and turns. Every once in a while if I retard the timing enough I will get a backfire out of the exhaust. My only thought is flooding because I crank the motor so much and fuel is being dumped down the intake. I already removed the carb and plugs and tried blowing out any fuel in the cylinders/intake.

I am at a stand still here. Any recommendations or any help would be great.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Can't Start Motor?

try the coil, even though you are getting spark does not mean the coil is good
i ran into this problem about ten years ago,

just the first thing that came to mind
will check back in a day or so

Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Can't Start Motor?

Thanks Dale for the quick response.

I am going to pull all the plugs again and burn them to make sure there is no gas on the plugs. I am then going to crank the motor to get any gas out (disconnect the fuel line of course).

I am also going to clean out the car & check the float bowls.

I still have a feeling that it is flooded.

If everything above fails then I will try the coil. I already tried replacing the ignition control module (HEI) but no luck.

Thanks!