Another Trans. question/help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Another Trans. question/help

67 with 3 speed saginaw.
Just replaced the clutch and pressure plate a few months back.

Maybe 100 miles later I can hear the clutch not disengaging completly. So I crawl under with my chiltons and adjust the clutch. The trans feels like it is binding up (best words) between Rev. and first. 2 and 3 feel normal though. This happened all of a sudden after coming up the driveway kind of fast and bottoming out a little. The pedal feels normal though.

What should/could I check?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The roughness between R and 1st happens reguardless of the car running or not and clutch engaged or not (when not running of course).

Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Those old transmissions take either a long or short style throwout bearing. It depends on what style pressure plate you have. I found that out the hard way years ago when the parts store gave me the wrong one. If you're supposed to have the short style and have the long in there, the pressure plate will be disengaging on its own. If you're supposed to have the long style and have the short in there, the pressure plate won't want to disengage. Take a peek through the pivot fork opening in the bellhousing to see which style of pressure plate you have.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well it seemed to be working fine up till the other day. I probably needed to adjust it a little though. I bought the pressure plate, clutch, bearing, kit. and replaced all of that at the same time. Also had the flywheel turned. Would the long/short still matter since all that was replaced? If so how do I tell the difference?

I have the shifter taken out now and am cleaning it up good. I figured thats a good start point.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:42 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well despite running out of gas a block from the house I think I got it.

After cleaning and greasing the shifter it still was rough, but once I tightened everything down all the way it feels like I am throwing it through the gears. They are actually going through too easy, but now I dont have "enough" on the R/1 side, I think that is just adjusting the rod though and will get on it.

I dont like fixing things without know what the real problem is though, but I guess I might have to deal with it. I am still suspect of the transmission though.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does your shifter linkage have the replaceable bronze bushings where the rods attach? Mine did. And if they are badly worn, it can make a difference in how well the shifter works both in smoothness and amount of travel.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:05 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sort of, there is a whole one on one rod and the inner portion on the other. I am now trying to figure out how to make 1st stay in gear. Right now I have to basically hold it in place to get the car to move. It's like it is barely engaging. Before I was messing with it the adjuster was almost off the end of the rod, I put it in further and it seems to be worse. So I am thinking I need to adjust it in the other direction (back to almost the end of the rod. Maybe I can adjust the other end (on the transmission end) to give me a little more working room.

I am thinking the orignal issue just had something to do with the shifter not "knowing" exactly what gear it was almost in. Or all the old grease and dirt jammed all up in there.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:31 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So I think I need to pick up some of those bushings, the ones I do have are plastic, or not there. But everything is working good again and with the clutch adjustment that this all started from I can get up the driveway (a little steep) without it smelling like my clutch is on fire.

So I'll have to highlight the bushings in the Ricks catalog for my next purchase.

Thanks for the assist. (I think this makes 3 or 4)

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sure sounds like an adjustment issue. It would probably help to have someone else run through the gears while you're under the car, so you can see what's moving, and where, and how far.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:14 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Unfortunatly I dont get any help so eveything is a one man job. But what I did end up doing was finding N on the trans with the rods detached. Then I found N on the shifter and adjusted from there. It took a couple of tries before everything really lined up good, but it eventually did.

Quick Reply: Another Trans. question/help