700r trans conversion problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Default 700r trans conversion problem

I had a a TH350 transmission conversion to a 700R transmission done on my 69 Camaro that has a 350 engine. Along with this conversion I also had to have my floor shifter converted also that was done using a shifter conversion kit. After the conversion was done I can't get my shifter to manually go into 1st gear, I also noticed some extra play from the shifter when it is in each gear and my transmission will not shift into 4th gear. The job was performed at a transmission shop. I have lost my confidence with the mechanics at this shop and I am not sure if I can trust them to fix the problem.

Has anyone had this problem and could offer some help?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

It sounds to me that it is simply an out of adjust cable. You need to make sure your trans is in neutral,then set up the cable with just a small amount of slack, then move it to park and all the gears. You will find a sweet spot eventually. If its adjusted in park, that can lead to too loose a cable, which won't allow it shift into the 1st position. As for not going to 4th (od) this could be a number of things. Get that adjusted first and check back.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does it go into reverse and park like it should?
Are you using the original horseshoe shifter?
What shifter conversion kit was used?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Once he gets it adjusted I'd like to know why it won't go into OD. I'm hoping he is using an aftermarket style TCC for lockup. I know on new trannys sometimes it will not go into OD until the fluid has circulated. I know when I installed mine Hughes told me I may need to get it on a dyno and go well over 100 mph and keep letting off the gas for it to eventually purge air....I never needed to do this.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The TC lockup, or lack of one, won't prevent the trans from going into 4th. Curious if maybe he doesn't have the TV cable adjusted properly, or at all. There's more to setting up the cable on a carbed engine than just slapping it on the linkage arm.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Does it go into reverse and park like it should?
Are you using the original horseshoe shifter?
What shifter conversion kit was used?
Yes it does go into reverse and park with no problems, it does not go into 1st. It is the original horseshoe shifter. Used was a shifter conversion kit bought from Original parts group.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

The geometry is off then, pulling it towords first should pull the shift lever on the trans towords the rear of the trans. Unhook the cable and pull it by hand to verify it will go in that way. It sounds like something is just not adjusted correctly.

Re-read what camaro69 said. Unless you are running a TV cable delete system, that cable needs to be adjusted correctly. There are many websites explaining this. That cable is absolutely important to have correct, or you will ruin the trans in no time. I won't try to explain it, so read what the experts have to say. Once set up, you will be very happy you went with the 700R4 over a th350.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
It sounds to me that it is simply an out of adjust cable. You need to make sure your trans is in neutral,then set up the cable with just a small amount of slack, then move it to park and all the gears. You will find a sweet spot eventually. If its adjusted in park, that can lead to too loose a cable, which won't allow it shift into the 1st position. As for not going to 4th (od) this could be a number of things. Get that adjusted first and check back.
Ok, here's an update. Yesterday I took it back to the shop. The trans guy took out the trans and tool it a part and said the clutches and bands were burned up. The. Transmission was rebuilt with extra clutches put it. If the car is driven lightly it shifts into all gears, they are very light shifts, I was expecting a little more of a harder shift since the B&M shift kit was put in. So if you take off on a fast it will not shift into overdrive.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Still sounds like your TV cable isn't hooked up right. Have any pictures of the linkage side of your carb?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im wondering what year 700r4 it is. i know if you unplug a 93 the converter will not lock.

Quick Reply: 700r trans conversion problem