Rear tire rub.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Default Rear tire rub.

I have a 68 camaro,When i turn into a driveway the inside sidewall of my drivers side rear tire rubs on the inner wheel well. I have new leaf springs and poly bushings,(didn't help) I have tried a wheel spacer on the drivers rear (didn't help). I just cant figure out how to eliminate the body roll when i turn into a driveway.Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Is it a solid wheel well or cheap plastic well? If it is steel or aluminum, find exactly where it rubs and hit the part of the well with a hammer. I have a 96 and I have the same problem. I have to roll my fenders and hit a couple spots in a little.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ya, it sounds like if all the suspention is correct then it must be in the body, maybe it was torqued at one point to where the body twisted slightly, but just enough to make it rub the tire.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is it on flat driveways, or uphill ones? Does the same thing happen on the passenger side if you approach the driveway from the other direction? Have you taken measurements to see that your rearend is centered with the body? Could be a wheel backspacing issue. How close are the tires to the inner fender wells when sitting on flat ground?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

All good questions.... I guess I will leave this in your hands. :P Wheel spacing makes sense too... but If he has the same tire size and all on there, it "should" not have ever changed.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

only on uphill drive ways,when the passenger front of the car rises on the driveway,the drivers rear lowers and that is when it rubs. the spacing is the same between the tire and wheel well on both sides.i wonder if a rear sway bar would fix the problem.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Rear sway bar would just be a performance upgrade and not affect the tire movement or flex when you enter a driveway. Just when turning while driving if that makes sense. A backspacing of the wheel sounds right because one wheel could be slightly different than the others causing it to rub.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like you have a bit of rear axle articulation. Do you have mono leaf springs by chance? Stiffer leaf springs would help prevent the tires from diving too deep into the fender wells. Or....maybe your shocks are shot too?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

^^

OR this.... spring squat is definitely a factor leading to the issues you have. Shock supports the vehicle slightly as well but not entirely.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SloBalt

Rear sway bar would just be a performance upgrade and not affect the tire movement or flex when you enter a driveway. Just when turning while driving if that makes sense. A backspacing of the wheel sounds right because one wheel could be slightly different than the others causing it to rub.
Hmm weird, I bent a sway bar (anti-roll bar) pulling into a steep drive way.

Bar Musta been trying to do something!

Quick Reply: Rear tire rub.