pics of 68 after new suspension installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 68hou
I really like the stance. Did you add subframe connectors? They made a big difference in my 68.
I have a new set and all new body bushings that I didn't install last year when I did the suspension. Plan on doing this in next few weeks as it is finally warning up here in Oklahoma.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 AM

Car looks awesome

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

I really like the stance. Did you add subframe connectors? They made a big difference in my 68.
I have purchased a set. Still have not installed. I guess I should

Old 10-07-2014, 05:22 PM

@thefley,

Looks nice. Got some questions for you about your setup, as it sounds very similar to mine and I'm going through tire/wheel size selection right now.

I have a 68 RS SB, w/AC, PS, PB (was 4 drum).
I recently installed the CPP tubular U/L A-arms, converted to Wilwood D52 calipers in the disc swap, and went with Hotchkis 3" drop coils and leafs. I have the Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks in the rear already, but still have KYB Gas-A-Just (brand new) in the front. Will replace those with the Hotchkis/Bilsteins soon. Currently still running older 79 Z28 steel 5 spoke 15x7 wheels with 245/60/15 BFG Rad T/A's. Front rubs outer fender lip like crazy, and will rub a bit on the frame when turned full lock. Since it is an RS, I do have the fender-lip wheelwell moldings, which take up a bit of the clearance.

Question #1: in a couple of your pics, it seems that your car might be leaning a bit lower on the passenger side, but maybe it's just the angle of the pics. My passenger side sits 1/2"-3/4" lower than driver side, not sure why. Can you confirm if yours measures level between fender lip to center of wheel hub?

Question #2: What amount of drop did you with (2"/1.5" or 3"/3")?

Question #3: What size wheels and tires did you go with, and do you have any rubbing?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Never heard of "Hatchkis". I do know Hotchkis sells some nice suspension parts. You might want to check out

Some real experts there that have tons of experience making 1st Gen Camaros handle better than late model Corvettes.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-10-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DeereMan
Never heard of "Hatchkis". I do know Hotchkis sells some nice suspension parts. You might want to check out
Thanks TROLL

I didn't notice when I posted from cell phone.

Keep on trolling

Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by zdude
@thefley,

Looks nice. Got some questions for you about your setup, as it sounds very similar to mine and I'm going through tire/wheel size selection right now.

I have a 68 RS SB, w/AC, PS, PB (was 4 drum).
I recently installed the CPP tubular U/L A-arms, converted to Wilwood D52 calipers in the disc swap, and went with Hotchkis 3" drop coils and leafs. I have the Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks in the rear already, but still have KYB Gas-A-Just (brand new) in the front. Will replace those with the Hotchkis/Bilsteins soon. Currently still running older 79 Z28 steel 5 spoke 15x7 wheels with 245/60/15 BFG Rad T/A's. Front rubs outer fender lip like crazy, and will rub a bit on the frame when turned full lock. Since it is an RS, I do have the fender-lip wheelwell moldings, which take up a bit of the clearance.

Question #1: in a couple of your pics, it seems that your car might be leaning a bit lower on the passenger side, but maybe it's just the angle of the pics. My passenger side sits 1/2"-3/4" lower than driver side, not sure why. Can you confirm if yours measures level between fender lip to center of wheel hub?

Question #2: What amount of drop did you with (2"/1.5" or 3"/3")?

Question #3: What size wheels and tires did you go with, and do you have any rubbing?

Thanks!
I had a major lean before I changed out all the suspension and this resolved it. The lean in pics is angle of road and pic. If there is still a lean it is not noticeable like before or anything that would set off my OCD.

I did the 3" & 1.5" drop

I have 17X10s on rears and 17X8s on front. And not sure the tire sizes off hand. I do now have rub trying to get up slightly steeper driveways on rear and front.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the response and info.
So you went with the 3" drop for the front, but only 1.5" on the leafs? Actually seems like a good move; mine almost seems to sit higher in the front than the rear, and the 1.5 in rear would probably be a good amount to level it out.

But you don't have much rubbing in the front except for bigger bumps/angles like driveways, etc. (large suspension deflections)? None from just turning the wheel on level surfaces?

Do you know what offset/backspace your front wheels are? Any chance you could also look at your tire sizes when you get the opportunity and let me know?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by zdude; 10-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Zdude... Have you replaced the body bushing on the front subframe? If they are badly worn, this could be partly responsible for your lean. I assume that you know the frame,, etc. straight.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 AM

Zdude... Have you replaced the body bushing on the front subframe? If they are badly worn, this could be partly responsible for your lean. I assume that you know the frame,, etc. straight.
yes, i replaced all sub frame bushings with poly. Had to replace the core support and the right inner fender bc it was totally rusted out at the mount under the battery, and there was nothing to mount the bushing to. It leaned worse before i changed those and got bushing installed.

I do see a very small kink in the left rear frame rail, visible when the rear tire is removed, but it's hard to imagine it its causing that much lean in the front, but I'm sure its possible.

Well get it measured up next.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: pics of 68 after new suspension installed