Lowering Suspension on '69

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Default Lowering Suspension on '69

I am interested in lowering my '69 camaro for road handling purposes. The front end of the car iscurrently disassembled down to a bare subframe . I purchased some 2" lowering coil springs from Hotchkis. I also want to change to disc brakes up front so I have the option in some of the kits to also use 2" lowering spindles. I currently have P235/15s but can change to something different. Is a 4" drop too far for this car? If 4" is too far, how about 3"? I thought maybe I could use rubber coil spring pads under the springs (about 1" thick) and also use the lowering spindles. Any comments on disc brake kits/systems would also be of interest.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Lowering Suspension on '69

I think 4 inch is a little extream. I lowered my 79 Camaro 2" and it's pretty low. My front bumper scrapes my driveway and so do the traction bars. As far as brakes. Go for the disc brakes!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MojoChevy

I am interested in lowering my '69 camaro for road handling purposes. The front end of the car iscurrently disassembled down to a bare subframe . I purchased some 2" lowering coil springs from Hotchkis. I also want to change to disc brakes up front so I have the option in some of the kits to also use 2" lowering spindles. I currently have P235/15s but can change to something different. Is a 4" drop too far for this car? If 4" is too far, how about 3"? I thought maybe I could use rubber coil spring pads under the springs (about 1" thick) and also use the lowering spindles. Any comments on disc brake kits/systems would also be of interest.
first thing you should do is get a ballpark estimate of what size tire you want to try to fit. no matter what you do, those tires will make every mod you do, almost useless for handling

4" is way too muc for stock suspension geometry. also anything more than 2" could run you into shock travel troubles.

coil spring pads to lower? don't understand that

new dropped spindles are gonna cost you a pretty penny. usually if you buy them from someone (Fat Man is real good), they will have a spring and caliper kit. my suggestion is to go with the springs and see how you like that. engine weight, A/C, and other front end stuff will allhave a significant affect on the final drop.

sometimes if you lower the front end you will have a hard time getting an alignment out of it and you might need to buy offset upper A-Arm shafts

you will (should) also have to drop the rear. you can do this with a de-arched spring or a 1" lowering block (most I would recommend).

you can either buy a front bakes disc kit(around $800.00) for the car or search out a 68-72 nova in the junkyard and try to find the set-up there. either way you will need a new proportioning valve and if you are changing from stock drum I'm sure a new master and booster is in order. (I actually have a booster I could sell you that's in pretty nice shape). one often IMPORTANT overlooked thing is after you go to disc brakes, you need to change the rod position going to your brake pedal. (if you are going to power, this will need to be replaced also

good luck at whichever way yo ugo

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The drop spindles are a great choice. This maintains your shock height and feel. 1969SS is right about the disc brakes, try a junk yard first. 1969 Camaros did have optional disc brakes. Maybe you can find some. The conversion kits are expensive!
I actually swapped out from entire subframe for a '71 with disc brakes. I am going with 2"drop spindles and low profile tires. Won't know exactlly how it's going to look until I get the wheels and tires though.

NEVER! I repeat NEVER heat your springs to lower you car.
You can cut them (with a torch), but never heat them. Just a warning to others.

The rubber sprng spacer would help to bring it up an inch but I think everyone will agree that 4 inches is too much. Start with the spindles. If you want more, then swap out the springs. Don't go too far too fast. I did that once on my 65 El Camino and dragged the frame down the street as the springs settled in. Remember that they will have to settle once reasembled.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
June 2007 ROTM

Johnny I wanna add to her post please do not cut the springs either.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I know. Spindles are the best way to go.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
June 2007 ROTM

I have drop spindles with adj. coils all the way around so that is a easy way of lowering ur car.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

How do you like those adjustable shocks?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 PM
June 2007 ROTM

no shocks all coilovers

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a picture? And some instructions about how their adjusted? I've never used those.

Quick Reply: Lowering Suspension on '69