Lots of stuff done, ride is the same

Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Default Lots of stuff done, ride is the same

So I've had my 68 for a few months. So far I have replaced all body bushings, rear leafs, all new shackles/bushings, etc.
In the front I went to tubular A arms, QA1 coilovers and all new tie rods, sleeves, etc. So all the suspension is new aside from rear shocks.

I just got a wheel alignment done so I could finally drive it a bit to see the difference. Honestly, not sure I like it. The old worn out rubber and suspension on it before was nice and plush. Now it seems a little stiffer, not much but a little. I put the shocks on the softest setting and I need to go test drive it. I had it on a 8 out of 18 and just clicked it to a 1.

It has 450lb springs.
The old coils were Hotchkis lowering springs and I think at 600lbs. So I was expecting a much smoother ride when I switched but thats not the case.

One positive is cornering it feels really good. No lean, tight, etc. No bump steer although it didn't before.

So all in all, I did a lot of work and spent about $1500 and it didn't change a whole lot. I'm a little disappointed. I don't know if its because its all new and stiff and maybe it will loosen up or coilovers aren't for me. I really like the tubular arms so I am considering putting back in the hotchkis springs at a later day.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you assembled all the suspension, did you wait till the car was sitting back on the tires and bounced into place, before tightening all the bushing nuts & bolts? If stuff was tightened down with the tires in the air, the bushings will have a pre-load on them and ride will be stiffer. I don't have coil overs, so can't say what the before/after should feel like.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

My first question is big block ? small block?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Small block

the back rides the same but I didn't change the shocks so I expect it to ride the same. But yes I did tighten it once on the ground and the weight was on it. from what I understand the shackles don't matter when you tighten but the front leaf bolt does matter. I tightened that one and the 3 bolts holding the front leaf in place once weight was put on.

And being a convertible I can hear it sqeaking back there now. I did grease the poly bushings before installing.

For the front, I clicked the shocks all the way down to the softest setting and took it for a drive an hour ago. Made a big difference! I'm pretty happy with the way it rides now. I guess I just expected better/newer feel.

It's hard to judge when you have **** rattling all over the place. Thats next on my list, fix all the rattles and squeaks!

My front end weighs 1960lbs by the way. And I'm going to put A/C in it and bigger rims and this was the car empty (no driver) so I'm right at the range for 450lb spring rates according to QA1.

But again, after this second ride I'm pretty happy with it and I think rear shocks are in order to finish it off.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The reason its comfortable on the lowest is its a small block. you have springs that would be a big block factory spring rate.. 300 pounds would be small block spring rate from the factory. If you had 300 pound spring and were mid setting it would be what you have now at the lowest setting.. Then you could soften from there and stiffen it from there.. I like QA1 but I think we sometimes end up with what's available or they have more in stock of than what we should get.. Just my 2 cents worth..

Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Icecobra, I thought the same thing but then when I removed the old springs off the car I saw they were Hotchkis lowering springs rated at 600lbs !! And the ride wasn't bad at all with those springs.

Also I actually weighed my front end and it does weigh as much as a BB car. 1950 lbs without me in it. And I plan on adding more weight. So according to the internet 450lb coilovers are the best for my setup. Qa1 has been really great customer service wise, I really like the help they've given me.

But I did discover something tonight that really helped. The upper control arm bushings were binding, I had them too tight. So the upper arm was really tight, tough to move and when I loosened them and test drove the car all of a sudden it seemed too soft.

Now I can click the shock up a few settings and it should be perfect.
Btw, David at QA1 emailed and said it could be a binding problem with the bushing which is how I figured this out.