leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default leaf springs

My 69 has a mono leaf suspension and I'm considering putting a 350 engine in it. Do I need to upgrade to a multi leaf or will the mono leaf work?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear member

This is just my opinion, but if it's just a normal street car, keep the mono's in but if you have any other plans for it, upgrade them to a multi.

Don't forget, if your thinking about adding a small block, and the front coil springs are original to the car, I'd update your front springs as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Bruce thanks for the info. We have already ordered new front springs because the ones on the car looked original and we were not sure how weak they were. We ordered front springs for a 327 or 350. We didn't want to replace the rear mono leaf spring if we could get by with the mono. This car will be street only as we don't plan on racing it. Just enjoying it and showing it.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Found a set of 5 leaf, leaf springs and a posi 3:23 rear end, so I think we will be set for dropping in the 350 engine and 350 trans. Both for $700 and thought that was a good deal. Rear end was rebuilt, cleaned up, and painted and so were the springs. Everything is ready to put in the car.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM
2nd Gear member

That sounds like a good deal. Is it a 10 or 12 bolt?

Do yourself a favor and if they did not install new leaf spring bushing, install poly bushing.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is 10 bolt posi out of a 78 trans am. We will be replacing the bushings with poly. We had ordered the complete poly bushing kit awhile back when we started on the front. Of course we ordered the kit for a mono leaf so we will have to purchase a few extra items. The rear end is about an inch wider than the original but hubby says not a big deal. We also found that one of the mono leafs was completely broke in the front where it winds around the bracket. Clean break too. Glad we decided to pull out the 43 year old mono leafs.

Last edited by JenRich69; 07-31-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Just wanted to make sure of something and I'm sure you already did, but I think the spring perches on the rear are in a different location?

Did you guys check that out?

If your using a newer 10 bolt (8.5 rear) a direct bolt in for the first gen Camaro's came out of a 72 or later Nova.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The guy we bought it from said he did the same thing in one of the 69 Camaro's he built. He said if the perches are off too much you could cut them off and arc weld them back on where they need to be. Hubby has an arc welder or the guy we bought it from said there is a shop close by that will do it for us for $75. Have you heard of anyone else doing that? It is a 8.5 rear end out of a 78 Trans Am.

Last edited by JenRich69; 08-01-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 AM
2nd Gear member

I had a feeling the spring perches were not in the same location so I checked on Second Gen Camaro site, and sure enough, just like you said, it's about 1" longer on each side and the perches are off. You can go to a Camaro parts dealer and buy new spring perches, but double check that the diameter of the axle tubes will fit the new perches. They should and yes, I have heard of people relocating the perches but just be careful welding on the alxe tubes, too much heat can warp the tubes, so if your husband is experienced with welding he should be able to do it or $75 can save you and him some headaches.

Also make sure that your wheels are going to be the correct offset, remember the rear is now going to be 1" more on each side.

See this is why I went with a narrowed rear, much easier to work with....LOL

Have fun and sounds like a fun project.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Bruce,

After tons of measuring the total length will be 1/2" wider on each side or an inch total. The perched do need to move an inch closer to the center as the TA must have had a wider stance.

Do you know where to find the nut plates to mount the leaf springs back under the car?

Thanks for all your help and info thus far.

Quick Reply: leaf springs