any good suspension kits with out a drop?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default any good suspension kits with out a drop?

I am looking to change my mono leaf springs (one side sags a bit) to a multi leaf spring set, but I was thinking about a full kit with the say bars. I like the Hachkins set up but every kit I find says it has a 2 inch drop.

Camaro Performance Suspension Kit, Small Block, Total Vehicle System, Hotchkis, 1967-1969 - Rick's Camaro Parts

I can't do a drop with out changing out wheels and tires and that I do not want to do.

anyone point me to a vendor and or set up that would help me get everything I want? springs, sway bars, boots, pads, etc...

this is all for a 68 with SBC

Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

45 looks and no answer? guess everyone is dropping their height then.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 AM
2nd Gear member

Here is my thoughts, first I'd be worried about going from a single to a multi because it might raise up your ride height, unless you're not worried about that?

If you have your car setup for a mono spring, why not just buy a new set of mono's?

I looked to and your right, everyone is selling lowering springs. I found anywhere between 1-1/2" down to 3".

So you might just think about getting a new stock replacement spring which any Camaro parts company can help you with and I'd also replace the spring bushings with poly bushings.

Summit Racing offers a 1" rear sway bar kit for around $150.00.

Maybe give Detroit Speed a call? I know they do a lot of Pro Touring type cars and maybe they have a stock height suspension kit or can put one together for you?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro
Here is my thoughts, first I'd be worried about going from a single to a multi because it might raise up your ride height, unless you're not worried about that?

If you have your car setup for a mono spring, why not just buy a new set of mono's?
I was wondering if the multi leaf would raise it or if it would have the same arch.

I thought about staying with mono leaf but I bet with the weight of car it would start sagging quicker than a multi leaf system. and the ones I have now have sagged enough to start rubbing when I turn corners or climb a slight incline of a driveway.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 AM
2nd Gear member

One other thing to think about if you go with multi's, they make a 4 and 5 leaf, 4 for the Z's and 5 for the SS models, see if you can get the 4 leafs springs.

That may not raise it up as much?

Check this site out: Chevy Camaro / Pontiac Firebird rear leaf springs 1967 - 1981

You have your pick of mono, 4 and 5 leaf springs with different rates. I think these prices are cheaper than Ricks?

Hope this helps?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by thefley
I was wondering if the multi leaf would raise it or if it would have the same arch.
I thought about staying with mono leaf but I bet with the weight of car it would start sagging quicker than a multi leaf system. and the ones I have now have sagged enough to start rubbing when I turn corners or climb a slight incline of a driveway.
New springs probably will raise up the rear some, but only because your current springs are old and worn. Multi leaf springs don't jack the car up over mono leafs just because there are more leafs. It doesn't work that way, multi leafs are "progressive". When the car was sold new, do you think the models with mono leafs looked saggy, and the ones with multi leafs looked jacked up? No, I didn't think so either. There are a few different spring rates with multi's, which will change your load carrying capacity, handling, and ride comfort.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Camaro 69,

So are you saying a "new" set of mono's will sit at the same ride height as a "new" set of multi leafs?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

They should, the multi leafs weren't used for jacking the rear higher. If you compared a mono leaf spring to a multi leaf, you'd see that the mono is noticeably thicker and stiffer than the main spring on a multi setup. Mono springs aren't simply the main spring from a multi pack, minus the extra leafs. It's its own animal.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear member

I agree with what your saying but if he gets a spring with a different rate, it's going to raise it up some, which I think he wants?

It won't make it a pavement pusher, as I call it, but it's going to raise things up some because the spring rate is stiffer and it won't allow the car to sit down as much.

Do you agree with my thinking?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I agree with that if you're talking about hauling a load of bricks in the trunk.
Some of the multi leaf springs actually have a lighter rating than the mono leaf does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any good suspension kits with out a drop?