What do you do now??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Default What do you do now??

Bought a '67 about 1-1/2 years ago. Have been puttering around with it. Garage kept, only drive it to work on sunny days or to get ice cream with the kids, etc. It's by no means perfect. Knew it when I bought it. Have got the drive train about where I want it, and the interior is about perfect, with no rust anywhere in sight. Getting ready to shoot some paint on it.
Problem is...some of the body panels are out of alignment due to an accident before I got it. Didn't think it was too bad. Just thought it was something I could tweak out later. After completely disassembling the car myself, and reassembling, the problem remains. I took it by a custom body shop - and got information that I needed, but didn't want to hear. = The body is toast. Whoever replaced skins and quarters didn't do a good job. There's bondo everywhere. And some body panel alignment issues may never be fixable. Guy at the shop said to "sell it, and run". That may be the best idea, but I never wanted a 100% restored (Barrett Jackson) car anyway. I just wanted something to tinker with, and drive around when I wanted. But the things that are wrong will continue to gnaw at me, even if I can't fix them.
The question is - do I continue to put money into something I'll never get a return on, but enjoy? Do I learn to live with the imperfections? Or what?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

never assume something can't be fixed or is "toast", id fix the problems and make the car my own. unless you are building a rare numbers machining car the chances of getting a good return on investment are slim, especially since anyone willing to pay top dollar will see the issues your car may have and just walk way. If i had your car I would just fix it as good as I could. maybe visit a different shop and get a 2nd opinion. post some photos maybe there is some advice from people on here too.