New guy with a 69

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Default New guy with a 69

Hello all. I am new to the forum and now that I have retired I am starting work on a 69 convertible. It belonged to my father in law who got it when he got back from Vietnam. Any suggestions on how to get started? I know I will be taking lots of pictures and documenting lots of parts.

I look forward to hearing from you and sharing my questions.

Mike

Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome to the 69 club. Yeah you can never take too many pictures, and be sure to ziplock bag and mark all small parts & bolts too. The whole resto procedure is way more than any of us here could try to cover. Try this book, it should help give you some guidance: How to Restore Your Camaro 1967-1969 Books Discount | Magazines.com

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Welcome to this sight Mike,

One of the best things you can do for yourself is research and joining forums like this and several other good ones. There is tons of experience in all of these forums.

The above book that 69 Camaro mentioned is a good book and it's in my library. Also get your self a wiring schematic and this book book has really helped me out:

Call places like Rick's or Classic Industries and order their parts catalog and get familar with the different parts available.

Also find a good machine shop in your area, you might need them to do motor, tranny, suspension or rearend work.

One thing I did in the past and still do, is buy zip lock bags or save those plastic containers like what Coolwhip or butter com in. They come in handy when you need to put parts in and they are easy to label as well.

Like you said, pictures are very valuable or even small drawings like for wiring or hoses or belts. You'll find them in my garage as well.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and remember, there is no stupid question.

Bruce

Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks guys. Will do.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Take lots and lots of pics, you won't regret it. When putting screws, bolts and nuts in baggies, be sure to include a list of what's in it and where it came from.

12 door panel screws
16 door panel clips
etc.
You can't do to much documenting of parts. It's hard to keep track of little things when it's been 3 months or more since you took it apart and that will help.
Pictures of the before can be posted now so we can get a good idea of what you're up against and to make us jealous