need help with my 67 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Default need help with my 67 camaro

First of all, I'm new here so please be kind.

I just got my first camaro, 1967 RS. I am stoked... I'll post picture once I figure out how.

I'm in the process of restoring it and have some probably basic questions to start my research and begin my quest.

1) I'm looking to do an entire drum brake conversion to all disk brakes. What do you recommend and how do I know if it's power or manual brakes (what am I looking for so that I can tell the difference.)

2)New shock and suspensions. Again what do you recommend. I don't plan to drive it hard or anything (not racing), just a weekend driver also. I like to keep the look as original as possible but have the comfort and security of a more modern vehicle.

Any vendor recommendations would be great.

Thank you and I appreciate the help.

G67camaro

Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM
jno
In the Staging Lanes

I think your budget will determine what upgrades are recommended.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Hi G67,

First Welcome to the site.

About your brakes, if your car has power brakes, you will see something like this in the engine bay:

The big round thing is the boaster, if it's a manual brake setup, it will just have the master cylinder.
I got for my Camaro a front disc brake setup through Matt's Classic Bowties which the kit is made by CCP. Complete kits cost as much as $1000 on up, depending on what options you get, or you could just do the front and then the rear later, depending on your budget.
As for shocks, if you want to keep it simple, I'd just go with a gas shock you can get at your local parts store.
Also check your bushing and if they need replaced, go with poly bushing.
It may be cheaper for you to go with a complete front end rebuild kit or you could just buy the parts as needed.
Like jno said, it really depends on your budget on how in depth you get with your rebuild.
Go online and do some research on prices and ask questions before you start digging into things.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Bruce

Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

I look forward to seeing your 67, congratulations, sounds like a great first Camaro. if its just a weekend driver and youre not racing like you said, you should just do a front Disc Brake conversion.