(LaBomba) My 69 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default (LaBomba) My 69 Project

Well, I did it, so I guess there's no turning back now.

Pulled the front clip off last night.

Then pulled the engine.

Here's the plan...

Today the tranny comes out, master cylinder, etc off the firewall, steering components off the frame and remove the subframe, hopefully.

I'm going to remove the new wheels and tires and put the old stock wheels back on, then start cleaning up the engine while the subframe goes to get blasted.

When the subframe is back and she rolls again, I'll take the car to get the undercarriage blasted. I've got the JL8 4 wheel disc conversion to get on somewhere in the middle of this.

I think I may go back with a 5 speed.

I really don't want to pull the rear quarters, but I think I'm going to have to. I'll know when the blasting is done I guess.

At any rate... it's started!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Any advice is welcomed. I'm not a mechanic, I just like to play one on the weekends.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Nice demo work so far.
Fwiw, it's a lot easier to yank out the engine and trans together. It's especially easier putting them back in the car as one.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Nice demo work so far.
Fwiw, it's a lot easier to yank out the engine and trans together. It's especially easier putting them back in the car as one.
Thanks! See, when I say I'm not a mechanic, and I've never done this before... I'm not kidding.

Tips like that are great. Please, keep them coming any time you see something. It was a real pain getting the tranny unbolted from the engine and if I'd known that, I could have saved myself that headache.

What would you recommend as far as the tranny? I'd like to go back with a 5 speed.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If mine, I'd go with a Tremec TKO 500 or 600. The numbers are their torque rating, so which one is best depends on your engine's output. Obviously the 600 costs more than the 500. They do make a complete conversion kit for our cars too. Do you have a specific budget in mind? "Budget".....lol. You're gonna blow way past what you think you're going to spend on the car anyway!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Looks like you are getting a good run at it for someone who's "not a mechanic". Its not Rocket Science and with the Internet you can find advice on great forums such as this one and theres always a video of how to do something somewhere at all times. If theres not just let us know and we we'll make it!! Keep up the good work and post LOTS of pictures along the way.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Mmmmmmmm! Look what I just found. Yummy.

And my buddy Harley just stopped by.

I'm originally from Indianapolis, grew up just blocks from the 500. He knew I'd love this rat. I may have to make an offer.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If mine, I'd go with a Tremec TKO 500 or 600. The numbers are their torque rating, so which one is best depends on your engine's output. Obviously the 600 costs more than the 500. They do make a complete conversion kit for our cars too. Do you have a specific budget in mind? "Budget".....lol. You're gonna blow way past what you think you're going to spend on the car anyway!
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, 'budget'. Funny word, isn't it?

I'm hoping to come in below 15k with the purchase price included. 'Hoping' is the operative word in that sentence.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Scooch
Looks like you are getting a good run at it for someone who's "not a mechanic". Its not Rocket Science and with the Internet you can find advice on great forums such as this one and theres always a video of how to do something somewhere at all times. If theres not just let us know and we we'll make it!! Keep up the good work and post LOTS of pictures along the way.
Scooch! Gotta love that handle.

Thanks bud. I'm guessing that I'll be counting on this forum for more than a little advice.

Sure glad you guys are here.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Tremec TKO 500 or 600
WOW! Those are pricey!

Man, I just can't see spending 2k on a transmission. Any less expensive suggestions?

Quick Reply: (LaBomba) My 69 Project