1969 Z-11 396 - Carburetor problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Default 1969 Z-11 396 - Carburetor problem

Hi,
I am new to the Forum. I finally have my 1969 Z-11 Pace car road worthy. It is the original 396/325 motor and a 4 speed Manual (original also). The original carb was changed and mia over the years.

I currenty have an Edelbrock carburetor on it and it runs perfectly. It idles, runs great, but as you would expect I want to correct carb on it so I ordered a Rochester from NDP. NDP gave me the number to the Carb builder since I wanted it very close to original Carb for the car.

They are super nice folks to deal with and the Carb came in the mail last week. I put it on the car and it won't idle. You must continue to give it gas or it will flood out and die on idle.
If you are around 1500 rpm's giving it gas, it does good, you let off of the gas and it will get too much gas in the front two barrels and flood out and die. I cannot adjust this out. I've tried for hours and I cant adjust out this issue.
I took the new Rochester off and inspected under it and no darkness at all. I also ran water across it while running to see if there were signs of a bad fit but it also looked good.

I put on the Eldebrock back on the car and it runs like a champ. Idles perfectly. I am not touching anything else on the car, just swapping the carb.

I sent the Rochester back to the company and they said they put it in their test motor before it goes out the door and they guarentee that the carb idles great on their test engine (they said it was a 350, not sure if this is a problem but they should know better than I). They are nice people to deal with but I just dont know if this issue is the Rochester that they say works great on their test motor,,,,, or is it a problem with my car but if I put the Eldebrock on it,,, it runs great.

Just wondering if anyone thought it was the carb or my car and if so, I'm not sure what order of things I should check since with the Eldebrock, it works perfectly.

The only difference (of course) is the Eldebrock needs the adjustment plate for the bolt pattern and the Rochester just uses a gasket to the intake.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.