1969 light resto mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:37 AM
Default 1969 light resto mod

Hey everyone! My first post here and I’m getting ready to bring in my 1969 Camaro in to do a light resto mod. It’s a 350, TH350 car with mild engine and transmission work already done when I got it from my father when I turned 16, 15 years ago.

I want to update something’s on it and but keep that 1969 vibe. I’d like to also try some autocross with it potentially.

Dad painted it a 1970s corvette yellow when he bought it and I’m thinking about maybe the new corvette Accelerate Yellow for the repaint! Keeps with the old but new vibe

here is what I just ordered so far Engine:

Holley Sniper EFI 2 master kit

Holley Hyperspark Distributor, Coil and

Holley Sniper PDM

CVF Racing 140 Amp powder coated alternator and 35 GPM electric water pump

Champion 3 core aluminum radiator

LeadFoot Racing Shroud and billet overflow

Spal 16” electric fan

Hooker black ceramic coated mid length headers

Flowmaster stainless 2 3/4” exhaust

Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers

Felpro gasket kit

Exterior:

17” front 18” rear Riddler 5 spoke rims

New door handles

Camaro Central/Detroit speed Electric hideaway headlight kit

Headlights with halos

new fenders and trunk lid

Interior:

Dakota Digital VHX gauges with Holley sniper module

New seat covers, front door covers and armrests, door jamb step plates

complete weatherstripping kit and window felts

Suspension and brakes

Hotchkis TVS stage two suspension kit ordered but BO until june

Detroit Speed quick ratio 12.7:1 steering box

The Right Stuff/Wilwood 4 wheel power brake conversion, Drilled-slotted rotors with red wilwood dual piston calipers

Energy suspension polyurethane subframe bushings

I have a handful more things I want to get ordered soon as well like Gauge bezel

Retro radio

CVF racing Pulley system

Roller Rockers

Dash pad

Holley single plane Intake

Engine/ trans mounts polyurethane

Front end rebuild kit with poly bushings

Engine dress kit

Hoses, wires, ect

Tires

other things that come up

Old 04-24-2024, 08:21 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard,that's quite the list!

Old 04-24-2024, 09:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A single plane intake is design to run at high RPMs and stay there. On a "Mild" engine with a stock converter it will most likely slow you down under 5500 RPM. For small track autocross it may not be a good fit. Higher stall converter or higher gear ratio will help keep the engine RPMs higher but depending on the track it still may not be high enough.

First gen camaro bodies are a little flimsy if you compare them to newer generations. Every generation has been better than the one before. You will feel this in the driving more with the stiffer suspension.
I would suggest:
20103 1970-81 Camaro Chassis Max Handle Bars - JEGS
4007 1967-1969 Camaro/Firebird Sub Frame Connectors --- Coupe - JEGS

With a 15 year old engine/transmission seals can be a problem. If you have been driving the car "normally" for the last 15 years and then you run the heck out of it, you may end up with oil leaks and a failed trans. Most automatic transmission failures are caused by bad seals. Lack of normal or light use can be harder on a seal then sitting. Unused seals tend to get hard. Upgrading to 700R4 4 speed automatic and a set of 373:1 gears may give you more bang for the buck then the suspension upgrades.

This is just my opinion but with the money you are spending I would be very temped to do a light weight aluminum LS motor with around 500hp with a 6 speed a set of koni shocks and good sway bars with the right wheels and tires. I know that is not the 60's vide but since you were already doing EFI... If you wanted that carb look on the motor you could use the same EFI system you are buying and just get an intake for the LS motor. Course that could be a down the road thing after you see how much you like the autocross.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
A single plane intake is design to run at high RPMs and stay there. On a "Mild" engine with a stock converter it will most likely slow you down under 5500 RPM. For small track autocross it may not be a good fit. Higher stall converter or higher gear ratio will help keep the engine RPMs higher but depending on the track it still may not be high enough.

First gen camaro bodies are a little flimsy if you compare them to newer generations. Every generation has been better than the one before. You will feel this in the driving more with the stiffer suspension.
I would suggest:
20103 1970-81 Camaro Chassis Max Handle Bars - JEGS
4007 1967-1969 Camaro/Firebird Sub Frame Connectors --- Coupe - JEGS

With a 15 year old engine/transmission seals can be a problem. If you have been driving the car "normally" for the last 15 years and then you run the heck out of it, you may end up with oil leaks and a failed trans. Most automatic transmission failures are caused by bad seals. Lack of normal or light use can be harder on a seal then sitting. Unused seals tend to get hard. Upgrading to 700R4 4 speed automatic and a set of 373:1 gears may give you more bang for the buck then the suspension upgrades.

This is just my opinion but with the money you are spending I would be very temped to do a light weight aluminum LS motor with around 500hp with a 6 speed a set of koni shocks and good sway bars with the right wheels and tires. I know that is not the 60's vide but since you were already doing EFI... If you wanted that carb look on the motor you could use the same EFI system you are buying and just get an intake for the LS motor. Course that could be a down the road thing after you see how much you like the autocross.

I do want to do a full drivetrain upgrade down the road for sure! I wanted to upgrade and update my brakes and suspension first ect

I have read that a lot of people recommended the single plane for the Holley efi kits but that is something I need to look into more

the hotchkis kit comes with the subframe connectors and improved tubular control arms as well

I will definitely be checking over the trans when it comes out

eventually I’d like to put a 383 stroker in it with a T56 with the factory style console that accepts 6 speeds

I appreciate your input and am definitely looking for suggestions or other ideas

Old 05-15-2024, 04:08 PM
Default Updates

I cannot get the hotchkis kit due to supply issues.

Planning to order
BMR upper and lower control arms with tall ball joints and Delrin bushings

BMR sway bar

BMR frame connectors

BMR tie rod sleeves

BMR Torque arm kit w/ watts link

and QA1 double adjustable coil overs in all four corners

Old 07-11-2024, 07:00 PM
Default BMR goodies

So BMR parts have arrived, upper/lower control arms, sway bar, subframe connectors, and complete rear torque arm setup!

Current parts pile! 18k and counting 😅