Need New Center Console - 67 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Default Need New Center Console - 67 Camaro RS

Hi All,

Just signed up for this site - hoping to get some good feedback from you guys. I browsed the interior threads already existing and didn't really see what I was looking for, so I figured I might submit a thread quick. I have long been a late-model F-body guy and this is my first 1st generation Camaro. It has been a dream come true to acquire my 67.

My 67 (previously a drag project) has absolutely no center console or radio. I am looking to find both components, and I wish for both of them to at least 'appear' original (if they are not in-fact original). As such, I am OK with buying new units as long as they appear original in the vehicle.

First question: I have found a radio that appears original with current technology hookups in the rear of the unit for $600. Do you folks know of any deals out there that cost less? For reference, the radio I am speaking of can be seen below:

Camaro Radio, AM/FM, Reproduction, 1967-1968 - Rick's Camaro Parts

Second question: The center console unit I have located on the web costs somwhere around $570 preassembled. What are your thoughts on this console? You can see the console I am referencing below, as well:

OER 1967-69 Camaro Fully Assembled Consoles R316705 - SummitRacing.com

Take care all and thanks in advance for your help on this one - I greatly appreciate it.
Shane

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Shane,

I can't answer your console question, as I have a '69, however I will try to address your radio question.

I believe the link you supplied for the radio is actually made by "Vintage Auto Radio" which is sold by the listed part company. Here is a link to "Vintage Auto Radio": Antique Automobile Radio, modern stereo for vintage cars

I recently installed a 1969 Camaro radio from "Vintage Auto Radio". Be advised that the folks at "Vintage Auto Radio" are 4-6 weeks in back orders. What I did, was call them directly and submitted my order. At the 4th week, I called back to find out where I was on the list. They will give you a pretty accurate completion date. A couple of days before the completion date, I called and confirmed the ship date. They were right on with the shipping date. They will take your CC, but will not charge you until the day they ship out your radio.

If you decide to order from Rick's, you should ask the following questions:

Do they have the item in stock?

If so, how soon will they ship?

If they don't, how long will it take for them to receive your purchased part and how long after to ship out.

Ask them what supplier they get that specific radio from.

You can find these radios listed on E-bay, but you will find out that although a listing may say "5 in stock", I learned that is not all together true. An E-bay lister must show a number, even though they don't have the item in stock, to list the item on E-bay. So, you may find it a bit cheaper (maybe), but you'll still have to wait the 4-6 weeks to receive the product.

Now, let me talk about the radio itself. It's kind of a weird setup. If the radio you listed is set up the way the '69 radio is set up, there's an AM/FM switch just above the dial. When you switch the FM button, a blue light goes on and searches for the strongest FM signals. Programming the radio, is done by turning the dial to locate your desired stations. When you find them, you depress the button and the dial will go from left to right until it locates the station and then it will "lock in". It takes a little getting used to, since it's not like a typical dial radio, where when you turn the dial, it goes where you want it to go.

In the back of the radio, there is an "aux" port. I used a 5-6 foot long 3.5MM male to male cord for my 4th generation iTouch. The way it works is when you connect the cord to your iPhone or iTouch or other similar MP3 player, it will detect the music and automatically play music from your MP3 player. If the radio detects any break in the music, the FM radio will automatically go on. When it detects the music from your MP3 player again, it will turn off the FM radio and begin playing your MP3 music once again.

I didn't want to install a new type radio because I wanted to retain the originality of my car, so I installed this one. Like I said, it takes a little getting used to, but it works.

There is another alternative. You can take your vintage factory AM/FM radio and have it converted to current technology with an "aux port" to play your MP3 music.

Here is a link to a company that does retrofitting of your existing vintage factory radio: ElectroDesign - Classic Radio Repair and Restoration

So, there you have it. I would recommend researching this on your own so you can decide which route you want to embark on.

As far as your console, that Summit price on a complete console is pretty good. Make sure you examine the other options of buying your console necessities separately. You can visit Steve Camaro Parts or Rick (Eckler's) Camaro parts for price comparisons.

Hope this helps...

Allen

Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe you can purchase the console and radio new from classic industries. My catalogue shows both available if I remember correctly.