Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with everything above. I have 4 drums also and the disc conversion was going to be the first thing I did but decided to concentrate on things that needed fixing. After driving a season on the drums you get used to them. As the others said unless your road racing drums are fine. 350 will always be a small block. Big block starts at 396. Find yourself a good mechanic that you can trust, getting opinions on the car now will help you find one. (maybe someone here can recomend one in your area?)

Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Thank you again for everything. The magnet trick is great
I'm going to see the car again tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Thanks

Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

2 things: Stock drum brakes on all 4 corners maybe one of the most dangerous set-ups ever to come out of GM. Don't believe me, ask the guy to test drive it and hammer the brakes at 60 mph, you'll be able to find that lucky Zippo Lighter you lost 22 years ago as you watch your life flash by.

$25,500 for a clone? Unless it comes with a bikini model that will satisfy your every whim for the next 10 years.....forget it. Don't be fooled by a little chrome, restored interior and a fresh paint job.....top price for a non-yenko non-dz clone...$17,500.00.

Last edited by shevrolay; 03-27-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for all the good advice. I did not buy the car. I went to the seller for a test drive and didn't really like the fact that the car had no power brakes nor power steering. If I were to drive it alone, i could be fine but my wife being pregnant I didn't want to risk anything. I tend to brake late so that was not fun at all.

Besides, I found the price a bit high without these features and I asked the seller about a bikini model coming with car but he told me that was only for the AC cobras

Anyway, I finally ended up buying another one, 68 also but matching number (checked) RS/SS red with vinyl top. Resto done a few years ago, quite good I must say. I think it's much better even though I am not a big fan of the vinyl top and front grill of the RS but it's incredible to drive.

I can't wait to take it out again.

Thanks again for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Pics required

Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Pretty nice,,, You really don't like the RS front? There are a lot of guys out there that have spent thousands to upgrade to that look.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-04-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM

The RS front looks really good although I find the SS much more aggressive with the kinda angle the grille has. But don't get me wrong I love this car. Could really be my daily driver

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice.....well done! Your headlight doors look a little sad, nothing a new bushing kit won't fix...and it's easy and inexpensive to do. I think you made the right choice, does the A/C work?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Hi everyone,

It's incredible to drive. This car is just great.

Shevrolay, I'll change the vacuum headlight door for an electric in a little while and I'll take this opportunity to clean them.

I have to take it to a mechanics anyways because there is a gas smell and the speedo cable makes some noise (not tensed enough or I don't know). It's not strong but it's probably a leak somewhere in the gas tank I presume. If you know where i should look first, that'll help me a lot.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?