Wiring help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Default Wiring help needed.

Hello, i'm new here and I need some help.
I'm having an issue with my wiring. I'm in the process of putting my car back together and i'm testing the wiring. It's a 67 with the original harness that is in good condition. Anyway, here's my questions...

1. On the column harness, i'm getting juice at from the horn wire going into the column, is this normal?
2. When my key is on and I put the left turn signal on, the right arrow lights up on the dash and my heater control light comes on.
3. When my key is on and I put the right turn signal on, the left arrow lights on the dash and my heater control light comes on.
4. The turn feed and the Hazard feed going up the column don't seem to have a full 12v (my test light don't light up very bright when I test these 2 wires).
5. My dash lights aren't working. What wire is it on the connector that is supposed to get power for them to work?

There seems to be some back feed through the fuse panel when I do 2 and 3 above.

I bought a used column on ebay and it looks to have a new signal switch in it.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Mike
I will try to answer
1. Yes, power all the way up to the button.
2 & 3. The indicators are wired in parallel to the front turn lights at the firewall connector.
Could be the wires for the indicators on the plug on the connector may be swapped. Cluster is a foil board, kind of hard to swap power there, but, never discount it.
4. Turn & Hazard have their own power source from fuse panel to function - check titles on fuse panel.
5. Dash lights, including heater control light, are gray wire from headlamp switch. Apparently, heater light is getting power from turn signals some how - pull turn signal fuse to see if heater light goes out. If it does, and with 2 & 3, could be a shorted bulb.

2 &3 - pull opposite bulbs out and check the other side for working correctly. Shorted bulbs internally can do the above symptoms.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Awesome!! Thank you! I will go outside now and try what you said, i'll let you know, Thanks,Mike

Old 09-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Ok, got the dash lights working, seems the printed circuit was a little corroded, I cleaned the contacts and they work fine.

I still can't seem to figure out the turn signals. I don't understand why, when they are on, it back feeds my fuse panel and powers on the dash light circuit, which in turn, turns on my dash lights/heater control light.
I pulled the instrument fuse while the turn signal was on and the dash lights went out.

I checked both flashers, they have power.

Also, like I said earlier, there definitely isn't a full 12v going up the column through the blinker and flasher wires.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 67Bird
I still can't seem to figure out the turn signals. I don't understand why, when they are on, it back feeds my fuse panel and powers on the dash light circuit, which in turn, turns on my dash lights/heater control light.
This is a sign of a bad ground, and the circuit will try to find ground from anywhere it can, causing a back-feed. For starters, check any ground wires that are attached under the dash; remove, clean, and reattach. Then check your front light wiring harness grounds that go to the body.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
This is a sign of a bad ground, and the circuit will try to find ground from anywhere it can, causing a back-feed. For starters, check any ground wires that are attached under the dash; remove, clean, and reattach. Then check your front light wiring harness grounds that go to the body.
Thank you, I will check it out.