white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Default white smoke

Starting to get some white smoke lately coming from the left tailpipe. It is only smoking with an increased acceleration and a little while at idle. It is also only when the car is warmed up around 170 degrees and higher. The engine hasn't overheated ever. The only thing I can think is a blown head gasket. Hopefully its not, but any other things I can check before getting in there? I noticed a small antifreeze drip this morning from the radiator so it may be leaking if that helps (not sure if getting into engine).....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 68 396 BB camaro

Old 12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I Like to Party

Coming from the left only? Usually when there is a blown gasket, coolant is leaked into the block and its burned along with the fuel, causing white smoke to come from both of the tail pipes. Have you noticed any coolant bubbling over?(you mentioned it leaking out) Try popping the hood, taking the radiator cap off and seeing if any bubbles out. Does it smell sweet like coolant?(The white smoke/vapor)

Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds lke head gasket on the left bank/head. The coolant is being drawn in to the chamber, on the down sroke, and burned in the combustion chamber. The leak in your radiator would be the result of over pressure back into the water jacket on firing. the pressure in and out of the break in the gasket cycles back and forth through the stroke cycles, sucking fluid in, and pressure out, in turn. It will get worse, damaging the cooling system and possibly getting a hydro lock in the piston that is wet, if it goes without a fix. Time for the head to come off and new gasket, and best to do both at the same time.
Take out thespark plugs, one at a time on the left bank, and turn it over (disconnect the coil first, or the HEI distributor) Check for fluid coming out of the spark plug hole on each cylinder. and then you will know for sure. If you find a wet cylinder, leave the plug out. You can limp it to a shop or get started on the heads in your garage.
Les

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if you pull the plugs and any look really clean like brand new your burning coolant (you basically steam clean the plug)... DONT run the car until your 100% sure its not a head gasket or you get it fixed also drain the oil coolant will kill your bearings and destroy your engine

Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah that sounds like a head gasket. at first i though maybe it was the carb flooding over but that only happens when the motor cools. my grandpa had that problem on 61 impala the car was flooding over and washing the cylinder and then the next time it fired it would puff lots of white smoke then clear up. but since your problem is when the motor is warm then it sounds more like a head gasket. also see if you are loosing more coolant than whats being dripped onto the floor. that shows that more coolant is being loss somewhere than the leak.