What did I buy? '69

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What did I buy? '69

yea it looks like a 9".
If you look at the 5th pic there is a rod hanging down just below the brake booster, looks like a clutch linkage rod. Not sure if it is, but thats about where it would be, to atach to the Z-Bar
Looks like there is a lot of rust on the underside.
Nice car though for the price
Keep us posted as you take it apart, and more pics as you do
does it have a crossmember in it if so take a pic of it and I can tell if it is fora TH400 or PG,TH350, or 4sp, also some pics of the interior

Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, that is a great car for the price. I paid almost double that and get less than you did. Good find. I wan to put a 9" in my ride so I am jealous that your came with one!!! Good job, be sure to post lots of pics!!!! This place is great for help and whatnot... Oh yeah, welcome by the way!!!!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM

wow, thats super cheap. I would say its worth 3-4x's that.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's definitely a Ford 9" you have there, I have one in my 69 too. And that is a clutch rod hanging below the booster. What is it connected to, inside the car? Do you have any pics of the gauges?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: firebird69racer

yea it looks like a 9".
If you look at the 5th pic there is a rod hanging down just below the brake booster, looks like a clutch linkage rod. Not sure if it is, but thats about where it would be, to atach to the Z-Bar
Looks like there is a lot of rust on the underside.
Nice car though for the price
Keep us posted as you take it apart, and more pics as you do
does it have a crossmember in it if so take a pic of it and I can tell if it is fora TH400 or PG,TH350, or 4sp, also some pics of the interior
Ha, your right. I unloaded and started to dig thru the car today. There is a clutch pedal.

Here is a picture of the crossmember. The previous owner gave me a Classic Industries camaro book. From looking at the pictures, it shows this as being the crossmember for a convertible?? Cant be...

Also, in looking at the motor mounts, it isthe same dimpled and short ones as in the book for a Z-28 or SS 302 or Hi-Po 350. Musta had a 4-speed stick with a strong 350 in it last go around..

I got a problem. No way can I put back a stick in this car as my wife will drive it and cant drive a stick. No way am I going to dump all this work into this car and have her 'learn' to drive a stick with a the BB I plan to put behind it...

So I gotta change this over to a auto tranny. Any suggestions on what is needed to do this conversion? I suspect the clutch pedal can be removed. Then put the correct motor mountds and crossemember for the BB and Th-400 tranny. Anything else? I am trying to plan this all out ahead of time so I can start scrounging the correct parts..

Now looking at the classic industires book I see they have a 350 HO deluxe engine that is almost complete for $3,800. I am thinking something like this sure would make my life easier getting this thing running since I have no engine at all right now.. just would need to buy the accessories and brakets and stick her it. Also they have a 5.7L ZZ4 355 hp engine that is mostly complete minus the carb for $4300. Anyone have any comment on these engines and how well they do?? Any suggestions? wish I had an engine to start with.. kinda like a big puzzle to put back together...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11104/F7EB7EBD0802415888472CD97E5E8E50.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11104/34D4EFD2D800471291A49B6D0ACBC6A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

The crossmember is for a PG, TH350, or 4sp. The motor mounts could have been changed. You will need big block mounts when you install it. and the heater core might have to be changed also for a big block. the tubes that stick outthrough the firewall might hit the big block valve covers.You can put a TH350 in with out any problems. just change the pedels to auto, and install a floor shifter, and trans cooler. If you want to run a TH400 you will need a different crossmember. also the front yoke on the driveshaft will be different between a TH350 and TH400.
I would not buy a motor from Classic as there prices are high, Look at Summit for motors or GM. As far as accessories and brakets, go to the wrecking yard, a lot of times there just laying on the ground, and you can get all the bolts also
With a 4sp and front disc brakes this could be a Z/28. not saying that it is but it is possible. Is there a tach in the dash?
It also had a rear spoiler on it also.
Like to see picks of the dash and interior, if possible
Get an assembly manual it will have a lot of info

keep the 4sp so you have an excuse not to let the wife drive it

Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firebird69racer

The crossmember is for a PG, TH350, or 4sp. The motor mounts could have been changed. You will need big block mounts when you install it. and the heater core might have to be changed also for a big block. the tubes that stick outthrough the firewall might hit the big block valve covers.You can put a TH350 in with out any problems. just change the pedels to auto, and install a floor shifter, and trans cooler. If you want to run a TH400 you will need a different crossmember. also the front yoke on the driveshaft will be different between a TH350 and TH400.
I would not buy a motor from Classic as there prices are high, Look at Summit for motors or GM. As far as accessories and brakets, go to the wrecking yard, a lot of times there just laying on the ground, and you can get all the bolts also
With a 4sp and front disc brakes this could be a Z/28. not saying that it is but it is possible. Is there a tach in the dash?
It also had a rear spoiler on it also.
Like to see picks of the dash and interior, if possible
Get an assembly manual it will have a lot of info

keep the 4sp so you have an excuse not to let the wife drive it
I think the front disk brakes were also optionally available on the SS, so that is not a reliable indicator of Z/28. Likewise on the rear spoiler, available on many variations. I agree that GM would be a good source for engines, I also agree with your reason for keeping the four speed tranny (though that wouldn't work in my house).
Clyde

Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

One thing's for sure, that's not a Z/28. The X11 code on your trim tag shows it. A Z/28 would have either an X33 or X77code on the tag.From everything you're showing, there'sachance that you have an SS 350 car, too bad there's no way of knowing for sure. If you had documentation showingit was an original SS 350, then building it back to how it came from thefactory would be the smartest thing to do, not as much of an issue now though. Converting from manual to automatic is a lot easier than the other way around. You don't need to change your pedals either, just leave the clutch pedal disconnected. My 69 was originally a manual, now is an automatic. I just have the clutch pedal resting on the floor, and the brake pedal is as functionalas it was before, it's just not a wide (automatic) style pedal. And if you buy into the "real men cars have three pedals" thing, then you're covered!
As far as the big block/small block issue, it depends on why you want to go big. Is it for the wow factor, or for h.p.? A small block can be built with some serious h.p. and it weighs considerably less than a big block does.Do you plan on needing the heat in your car? My heater core tubes were in the way of my tall valve covers. Since I only drive it in the summer, I took the heater core out completely. I now have less clutter in the engine bay, and one less thing to go wrong/leak.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildpaws

I think the front disk brakes were also optionally available on the SS, so that is not a reliable indicator of Z/28. Likewise on the rear spoiler, available on many variations. I agree that GM would be a good source for engines, I also agree with your reason for keeping the four speed tranny (though that wouldn't work in my house).
Clyde

I know that.
I didnt say it was a Z just that it could be

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Going from a 4 speed car to a automatic will be easy.

Changing the pedal assembly only involves pulling the pedal assembly out and switching over with automatic pedal setup. You can also dissasemble the manual setup and place different pedals in, this is what I did. The crossmember for a TH400 will bolt in fine with no modification. then just acquire the lines, cooler and tube and your good to go. Removing the clutch parts from the outside will be a snap, you can easily fill any holes with rubber inserts. Any holes in the floor board can be used for the new shifter you place there so no cutting should be involved. Speedo gears are also easy to swap. You'll just have to make sure the combo you do works with the rear gear ratio.

I did this on my Camaro for the same reason you did. My wife can't drive a stick for shat and no way she was learning on a BB camaro.

Only problem, and not really a problem, she hasn't even driven it yet