Very urgent please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Exclamation Very urgent please help!!!!

Alright so I am looking to buy a 1967 Camaro it has been completely restored new engine, alternator, radiator anything mechanical has pretty much been replaced. What I am asking is can this be used as a everyday car? and also he says he drives it once a week and pumps the accelerator 3 times then turns it on and hold the RPM at like 1 or 2 for a minute or so.... if I were to use this as a daily car would I have to pump the accelerator everyday?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the auto choke is not hooked up or not there at all then it may require you to pump the gas and hold the idle up when its cold but once warmed up you shouldnt. i have had cars that reqired the pump most times but the warm up to idle was for first start of day or when very cold out. solution would be to get choke fixed or get carb with choke or could be timing or carb settings or all of the above.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by craby
if the auto choke is not hooked up or not there at all then it may require you to pump the gas and hold the idle up when its cold but once warmed up you shouldnt. i have had cars that reqired the pump most times but the warm up to idle was for first start of day or when very cold out. solution would be to get choke fixed or get carb with choke or could be timing or carb settings or all of the above.
It has a choke he just says he never uses it.... But if I were to adjust choke settings and whatnot I shouldn't have to pump it all day every time I get in it? BTW its a Z44 350 with a 350 Turbo Transmission with only 4,000 miles if that helps. Also can / should I use it as a daily driver? (The car is all brand new parts as I said before)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What you're doing when pumping the gas pedal is 1) setting the choke, and 2) giving the carb a shot of gas for the initial start.
So yes, you will still pump the gas a couple of times when you start the engine cold. That's the nature of the beast.
Since he has to hold the idle high with his foot, the fast idle on the choke linkage isn't set right.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What you're doing when pumping the gas pedal is 1) setting the choke, and 2) giving the carb a shot of gas for the initial start.
So yes, you will still pump the gas a couple of times when you start the engine cold. That's the nature of the beast.
I understand on a cold start I am probably going to have to choke it or pump the gas.... but like lets so I park and go into a friends house for 2 hours, would I have to pump it when I go to start it up again? Also can anyone answer my daily driver question? haha thanks for all the help by the way!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You might, it depends on how cold the engine gets. Sure you can drive the car everyday, these used to be everyday cars.
But if you live in a wintery climate, I wouldn't subject the car to that slop, you'll ruin it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM

I live in Northern Delaware and we get mild winters and maybe a big storm everyone in a while but nothing bad.... I mean this guy took so much care of it, he said he's never taken it in the rain. But you would approve it as a everyday driver from what you know? and thanks for your help so much I really appreciate it

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it has a manual choke setup you may want to upgrade to a auto choke. and yah dont want to be drivin it on salted roads.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Just like they said, try to get yourself a beater car for the winter, the road salt is not your friendly to your car.

I live just north of you in PA and I used to drive my 68 Camaro all the time and prayed that we wouldn't have snow.

Just like mentioned above, your going to have to pump the gas a little and if it has a hand or manual choke, get rid of it for an electric one.

Another thing, if your going to drive it year round, make sure your heater and defrost work good.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear member

You'll have to learn how your car reacts. Hey, it's 45 years old right? It doesn't have all the sensors etc that a new car has that does it all for you.

You'll just have to figure it out, all the older cars were that way. It was that way with my 66 El Camino and it was that way with my 72 volvo.

Currently, my 68 doesn't have a choke, and if it's cold, I pump the snot out of it till it starts and then I have to feather the throttle till it will idle on it's own. Take the car into town and let her warm up and lets say I go into the store for a pop or something. When I come back out to start the car, if I touch the gas pedal even once I'll flood it.

Every old car is going to be a little different and every situation may be a little different depending on the ambient temperature when cold and the temperature of the engine once you turn it off and then go to start it up again.

Don't sweat it, it's not a big deal. People seemed to have managed those issue when the car was new, I'm sure you'll be fine as well.

Quick Reply: Very urgent please help!!!!