trying to run 12's

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm about ready to put almost the same motor in my '68. Little smaller cam .510, aluminum heads, same .30 over 400 block, little lighter compresion 10:1, 750 dbl Holly everything else the same as the original poster. I'm not sure about the single plane air gap I have on it now. I read where rat says maybe a Victor Jr, I was thinking that myself for my motor.
Also not sure about gears, it has a sporty 355 in it now with an M21, 9" rear end with 3:55's and a spool. I think it's ok now for normal driving around (other than the spool). I'm not looking for a full time drag car, just a nasty little street rod. I think the 3:55's should be ok, right?
Rear suspension, currently stock mono leaf. What would be ideal for this set up as far as rear suspension?
Motor is on the break in stand as we speak, so it's almost go time!
Thanks guys,

Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Neat build. If your not racing at all I'd stick anywhere from 3.55-4.10. With the 4.10 your going to be busy with shifter and clutch LOL. A low rise single plane 2-6000 range works good. But dual planes now a days are very very aggresive. rpm air gap, weind stealth air gap, crosswind(knockoff air gap) etc,. I run single planes if it hustles from 3500 rpm and up. sure they llok cool, but you need purpose for everything to work together. a cam in range from idle to 68-7000 I perferr the street dominator by holley. they can handle the fuel charge and get things whirling in there.
Suspension wise if its mostly street, hotckins(sp?) makes a real nice setup. I'd Run the JEGSTER lift bars as well, they really really work for the money. if its full drag/hot street. Comp eng slide-a-links are way to go...good luck

Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Rat, I appreciate it.