Throttle/pedal/arm not opening carb all the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Default Throttle/pedal/arm not opening carb all the way

I have an 1968 Camaro 302 SB with Weiand Team G manifold 750 double pumper AED carb. The carb sets rather high in comparison to the stock set-up (Maybe-just guessing); issue being that I have the throttle arm adjusted all the way down to where it's resting against the head at idle, and when pedal is pressed to the floor the throttle plates do not open all the way. This is a real problem for me-HA. if i drop down to the hole in the carb throttle actuator (To the non-bushed hole-that's cool) it seems better and very close, but need to use the correct hole. the throttle arm appearantly does not have enough "Arc" or "Sweep" to swing from idle to fully open. Has anyone else had this issue and what was the fix? I would say that if the throttle arm was longer I would have more arc/swing in the arm and a longer acctuation possible seen at the carb from the same length of travel of the pedal, also the carb is up higher and this would make the relation between the throttle arm and carb plate accuator straighter in relation. Does anyone make a longer throttle arm? I can refab the arm rather easily, but cannot believe that this is not an issue with every set-up therefore someone would have to make such an animal.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is there no slack in the arm and linkage at idle, or does it move back some before it starts to pull on the carb linkage? If you have slop, you'll have to take it up. The easiest way may be to bend the arm back towards the firewall. I had to revamp (heat and bend up) my gas pedal arm to give enough throttle travel for my cable setup. Doing that is another option for you, just keep in mind it will raise the pedal off the floor more. Or, another thing you can do is clear the carpeting out of the way of the gas pedal.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I had the same problem with mine after installing a set of raised port heads along with a high rise, not to mention taller motor mounts... Yeah, the stock linkage just wasn't working out. Reminded me of a low rider where the front was raised drastically higher than the rear.

To bring the rear up, I welded a piece of eighth inch stock flat bar and that worked ok, but I just didn't like it. As a result, I purchased an aftermarket cable and gas pedal from Lokar and so far I'm way happier than with the modification I made prior to the cable.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
I had the same problem with mine after installing a set of raised port heads along with a high rise, not to mention taller motor mounts... Yeah, the stock linkage just wasn't working out. Reminded me of a low rider where the front was raised drastically higher than the rear.

To bring the rear up, I welded a piece of eighth inch stock flat bar and that worked ok, but I just didn't like it. As a result, I purchased an aftermarket cable and gas pedal from Lokar and so far I'm way happier than with the modification I made prior to the cable.

n you have now plenty of adjustment. i did make a quick scan through lokar site. can you offer what exact pieces you used from lokar? part numbers?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Is there no slack in the arm and linkage at idle, or does it move back some before it starts to pull on the carb linkage? If you have slop, you'll have to take it up. The easiest way may be to bend the arm back towards the firewall. I had to revamp (heat and bend up) my gas pedal arm to give enough throttle travel for my cable setup. Doing that is another option for you, just keep in mind it will raise the pedal off the floor more. Or, another thing you can do is clear the carpeting out of the way of the gas pedal.

DUUUDE......

I can see the bending of the accelerator pedal though. it's gonna have to be off the floor a little more to make the stretch.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't have the part numbers as I threw away the packages years ago.. Just call them, I'm sure they can hook you up with what you need.

Here are the two pages that show the parts I've got. Wish they listed their parts with the right part number. It's not a friendly site for getting information.

Lokar: Hi-Tech Throttle Cables and Duo-Pak Kits

this is the pedal I have.
Lokar: Eliminator Floor Mount Throttle Pedals

It's a pain in the butt to install, but man is it nice! If you do purchase this setup, make sure you don't have any slack in your cable or it will bind. Follow the instructions and you'll do fine.