sway bar relocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default sway bar relocation

anyone have any idea if someone makes a sway bar relocation kit for the front sway bar on a 67? I want to add rack & pinion but don't know that I can without losing my sway bar.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I put a rack and pinion into a 68 with a big block and did not have any problems retaining the front sway bar. It was part of a right hand drive conversion, and the rack was a direct (and licenced) RHD copy of a DSE item, designed to bolt into the same holes for the original steering in the front crossmember. It fits behind the crossmember, not in front.
I am replacing the stock sway bar next month with a large diameter hollow Heidts bar. You dont want to lose the sway bar to fit a rack. Check with DSE for their product line. No one is going to make a rack that costs you the sway bar

Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I found the issue. The builder of the kit failed to mention that their kit changes it from a rear steer car to a front steer car and due to this, requires removal of the sway bar. The kit is designed for race cars and not street cars. They fail to mention any of this until you call them and ask how you are supposed to install your sway bar.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by South Australian 68 SS 396
No one is going to make a rack that costs you the sway bar
Unfortunately there are many makers building parts without regard to what might have to be modified or eliminated, and also without mention in their sales pitches. I recently went through this when I purchased a new Lakewood ladder bar system for my Camaro. The system requires either eliminating the rear swaybar, or highly modifying the ladder bars to make both work. I chose to modify the ladder bars and not lose my swaybar. Not a word mentioned in the ads, or instructions.
What should have been a few hours work of just bolting in, ended up being a day's work with a bandsaw, sawzall, and my welder to make it fit and work. Don't doubt for a minute there are makers doing stupid stuff and not telling us in their ads.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Unfortunately there are many makers building parts without regard to what might have to be modified or eliminated, and also without mention in their sales pitches. I recently went through this when I purchased a new Lakewood ladder bar system for my Camaro. The system requires either eliminating the rear swaybar, or highly modifying the ladder bars to make both work. I chose to modify the ladder bars and not lose my swaybar. Not a word mentioned in the ads, or instructions.
What should have been a few hours work of just bolting in, ended up being a day's work with a bandsaw, sawzall, and my welder to make it fit and work. Don't doubt for a minute there are makers doing stupid stuff and not telling us in their ads.
That is probably because most people that add ladder bars, or any type of slapper bar setup, are going for those items because they are looking for a cheaper way to get off the line traction and not cornering ability.

To get the best of both worlds (as much as that is possible), there are many high quality manufacturers that have setups that can be dialed in as dual purpose, but you are going to pay accordingly to get it right.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think the best way to go with major mods is to talk with a hot rod builder, or an established performance shop, one who uses different parts from different manufacturers to build cars for customers. That way you get a build that is suited for the use of the vehicle, and the customer, rather than a sale of a product that might not work for you, or cause additional problems. Been there once, it really makes you feel cheated and stupid.
I decided on a truck arm rear mod for my Camaro, with a built Daytona 9 inch rear, new dic brakes all round, new front control arms, springs and shocks all round. It is a major build for me, and I spent a lot of phone time with Steve McClenon from Hotrods to Hell to really get what I wanted. there are so many options nowdays for suspension and driveline, it can be a roll of the dice.
Sorry to hear about the front rack and rollbar issues, but you can certainly find a rack that does not lose the bar, I hope you have the option to return or change out your rack, for one that retains the roll bar.
Good luck. let us know what happens.
I made a mistake, I am not getting a Heidts bar, it is a big hollow bar from Helweg, made to HTH specs.
Les

Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by South Australian 68 SS 396
Sorry to hear about the front rack and rollbar issues, but you can certainly find a rack that does not lose the bar, I hope you have the option to return or change out your rack, for one that retains the roll bar.
I was able to return it ONLY because they did not mention in their description that you would lose the the sway bar. So buyers beware when buying online, make a phone call first and ask questions. I think this would have seemed to obvious to even ask, but for now on, I will ask any place I purchase from if modifications need to be made, and if so, what is lost.