Stolen 1968 in 1980 help! V.i.n. Listed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Angry Stolen 1968 in 1980 help! V.i.n. Listed.

In about 1980 i had a 68 camaro stolen. The v.i.n. Is 124378n366229 it was stolen in indiana. I have window sticker pop and bill of sale. Its original color was ash gold with black vilyl top and gold custom interior. Power steering,tinted windows, style trim group,center consol,am radio.v-8

i would sure like to get it back

Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sorry to hear that. Chances are your car became a parts donor to other cars, or could have been turned into a race only car where registration isn't needed. Another off chance is that someone later on could have tried to get a "lost title" replacement. Another way is to buy the car (on paper) from a State that only requires registration, not a title. There are actually services that do that (supposedly to make lost title transfers easier), to make it look like you bought the car from out of state, issue you registration, then you can title the car to your name in your state using only that registration. But that service could be used for the wrong reasons as well. Have you tried a VIN search service, the DMV, or even a private investigator (they have resources we don't have).

Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Im at FT Bliss Texas im a MSG 31B, that car isn't being molested its more than likely just a want with the cash$$$ to get her accross the border, into CARTEL country, not just for Juarez but for International Sell, thus VIN POP "protecto plate and all that " dont mean much to them as other countries dont need an Indiana licence plate or registration etc, They are professionals theives and the operation went very smooth to steal the car. She went quietly right into the back OF A SEMI for transporting distances using a LONG SEMI-TRUCK with fake CBL documentation etc way too solid and smooth of an operation. In this nation alone there are over 400 drug and car theft routes our citizens are obivious to, but i know about Indiana, i have done some work at Grissom AFB as well as in the S.Bend area. This isnt a group that took her for a joy ride or to a shop to hurt here, it can be in Germany in 2 weeks in the hands of a reputable sale shop sitting on display in a window..

Have you ever been to Cuba and seen old cars Mexico and Central and South America has ample go across our border every year and end up in some collectors mansion, consider this the next time you here a arguement used against securing the border with troops versus home secuirty or the border patrol whereby coruption is ramped wonder why.. its a big pay off.. Overseas could go over 100k easy in terms of the EURO why take a torch here and part it out..

im sorry this happened i have 3 Camaros a 67/68 with POP and a 70RS i know it hurts in the soul, but in the end its a material loss, you have your soul and your life and will rebound from it ,, I hope you do recover her, i highly doubt its been broken down for parts ... and is in some chop shop some where as these cars are wanted internationally especially in Europe..

Thus its not kosher to come on here and explain the thousands of thefts and our Home land security and border patrol issues we have on this side of the border as these cars are being stolen by our poeple and sold through these channels by the cartels its worse that the Iran issue,
thus im terribly sorry this has happened to you man as i wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy brother!

For this forumn community please please keep your cars secure, no matter what do know if they want your car and its going to happen and there isnt much anyone can do about it as they are professionals and plan these car jacks very very well... these routes are protected, along the way even state police are on the take... if you a good honest cop they simply change your shift that simple..

i have to urge people 1 bit of advice, get GPS on your cars they sell the tinnest of these devices that can go on the under carraige of the car than pay the monthly service and report the theft by calling not just local police but the FBI as fast as you can Its better to go straight to their satellite office ..

Only 1 question please tell me you had insurance Hagerty or anything similar?

Call home land security and the border patrol, and get that VIN into their stolen data base now... God Bless man sorry it happened im sure she was awesome, please do ponder staying in the hobby and getting another it will sooth the loss.. God Bless you and your family ...

Last edited by knightmoose; 02-25-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's all well and good, but keep in mind his car was stolen in 1980. Back then, his 68 was "just a car", not highly sought after, not collectible, not valuable. Heck, I had a very nice 69 Camaro convertible back in the late 70's/early 80's. I needed to sell the car in 82 for building a house, and I was hard pressed to get $2,200 for it. I wasn't selling or pricing it as a desperate seller, that was the market back then. If his was a plain optioned 68, but still a nice car, it was worth well under $2k back in 80.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Good Luck in your search

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Call a PI, back then the DMV and cops used paper records, perhaps it was found in another state and never listed through the DMV.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM

twgrenvalley
Don't give up hope my 67 was stolen in 1982 from my college dorm parking lot in Daytona Beach, FL.
In 1992 I got a call from the Winston Salem, NC PD informing me that they had found my 67.
I am now in the process of restoring the car!
So miracles do happen!

Ed