Should I buy a 1969 Camaro or a 2010 Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Default Should I buy a 1969 Camaro or a 2010 Shelby

Im 19, I'm currently employed and Im looking forward to buy a car in 2014. The Shelby is expensive right now as it is, but Im hoping that by 2014, depreciation will start taking it's toll and will allow me to find a used 2010 Shelby with around 25,000 miles on it for about $27,000. However, I can't completely decide because Im also interested in a 69 Camaro(I was planning on buying the new one but everyone has one and in my opinion, it falls short of the original). I've been looking online and they aren't too bad(a decent one is online for about $22,000).

Either car will be used for the same needs(commute to work, get to school, and drive on the weekends). Both also get around the same MPG(around 13-14 in the city). I know many will say that all that abuse will ruin the Camaro, but that's just about all I need it for. I'm not the type of person that is always around and about, so the Camaro would see little action(even though I said I would use it on the weekends, I rarely go out on weekends and if I do, it's a short trip). On top of that, Im responsible and I take very good care of what's mine. I would appreciate if you guys could help me out. I'm going to be transferring to a university(not sure yet where, but it will definitely be out of town; maybe even out of state), so a car will be almost mandatory and I don't want to buy no Jap or Eco-friendly hippie crap.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The only 69 that can come close to keeping is a built big block and that is NOT going to get near 13-14 MPG. Your going to be closer to 8 MPG. The Mustang will be alot safer as a daily driver. The shelby will go down in value very quickly as you add miles.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should buy a Shelby and then crash it. Get one more of them off the roads :V

Then use the insurance money to buy and modify a '69 Camaro until it's faster in every way~

Seriously though, you're asking on Camaro Forums whether you should buy a Mustang or a Camaro. I think you can guess what answer you're gonna get

Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

first lets be realistic... we are all going to cringe, but be jealous too... what happens in a wreck etc? don't get me wrong, but a car like that is something you hold on to, and we risk our cars every time we take them on the road around other people.

I will tell you flat out, I like the 12 mustang. its a nice car, and they brought back the 5.0 kudos to ford. is the ZL1 better? yeah i think so... is the 69 better? HELL YES. And when faced with the choice between a 69 Camaro vs a New Mustang id stick to the Camaro.

Heres where it falls apart...(im getting ready to start on an older car so im telling you from my search)

69 Camaros are decent price but will require upkeep. they are cars that will require tinkering to keep them running right, especially if some one messed around with them before. The mustang will probably still have some warranty left on it... the 1st gen will need parts that are hard to find some times. the mustang will have parts at every auto parts store. The normal wear and tear on a 69 compounded over the years means you are going to have to know what you are doing. Are you ready for it?

Dont get discouraged, if you make the choice to go to the 69 were all gonna be online here to help. But you are talking about using a 43 year old car as a daily driver... you have to be ready to take car of it.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the 69, you'll have a car that will increase in value, as the Mustang will decrease in value. From an investment standpoint, the Camaro wins hands down. Then there's the fun or wow factor. The Mustang, although it may be a nice car, is still a plastic looking cookie cutter type car like most of the rest out there. I'm more referring to the lack of classic lines and style that an older car has. Retro look is one thing, but it's not the same as the inspiration car. Then there's the mechanics of them both. The 69, or any car of this vintage, is extremely easy for the DIY'er to work on, plus there's a heck of a lot less crap that can go wrong with it (on the newer cars it's called modern technology). Not so easy to work on the Mustang, and that's something to consider for when the warranty wears out. You either have to learn how to fix it yourself, with all the complicated electronics that goes with it, or pay somebody to do it. On the flipside, the Mustang would be safer in a crash, will have a more comfortable ride, and in the turns will handle better than a stock 69 Camaro would. So, it really boils down to what you want to get out of a car.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BudBrown
69 Camaros are decent price but will require upkeep. they are cars that will require tinkering to keep them running right, especially if some one messed around with them before. The mustang will probably still have some warranty left on it... the 1st gen will need parts that are hard to find some times. the mustang will have parts at every auto parts store. The normal wear and tear on a 69 compounded over the years means you are going to have to know what you are doing. Are you ready for it?
Oh man, tell me about it. I purchased my 67 Camaro as a car that I wanted to drive with minimum upkeep. Boy, was I in for a shocker. This year alone (2012), I've had to 1) Reseat the valve cover due to an oil leak. Of course, the side that was leaking was the side thats hard to replace due to the windshield wiper motor. 2) Redo the bearings in the front driver wheel. They actually came apart while driving! 3) Tweak the idle range in the carb. As it gets warmer, I need to idle the car higher. 4) Replace the master cylinder. It started to leak. This meant bleeding the entire braking system. Drum brakes are a *****. 5) Patch the rear driver side tire due to a nail.

I love it though. I wouldn't have it any other way.