Sheet Metal Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Default Sheet Metal Quality?

I have a 69 Camaro I need multiple replacement panels. There are many different sources to buy from who has the best quality(not worried about price too much) for the following panels?

partial quater panels
outter rear wheel tubs
passenger side front floorboard
drivers side rear floorboard
total front clip

Thank's for the help.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Sheet Metal Quality?

Year one makes most of that stuff. I buy from ricks. Good stuff at a good price, at least for me. And they will have everything you need.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

Year One is just a parts supplyhouse. Goodmark makes the best panels out there right now. they aren't perfect but they are heavy stampings and better than a lot of the other vendors out there. sometimes you still have to fight with the parts a little to get them just right

http://www.musclecarmetal.com/goodmark.asp

Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

Year One is just a parts supplyhouse. Goodmark makes the best panels out there right now. they aren't perfect but they are heavy stampings and better than a lot of the other vendors out there. sometimes you still have to fight with the parts a little to get them just right

http://www.musclecarmetal.com/goodmark.asp
Youre right, I meant goodmark.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just some info for you guys,,,
There aren't that many sets of dies out there to stamp reproduction parts, larger parts anyway (i.e.quarters, fenders, etc). Goodmark controls very little production of it's sheetmetal parts. The very same parts you get from them are available elsewhere for less money. There are parts that only Goodmark has, but not that many. I needed parts for a 68 Firebird, I ordered parts from them and when they showed up the boxes had the original manufacturer's name cut off and a Goodmark sticker put on. Whet their warehouse forgot was the stickers on the part. The sticker traced to Dynacorn International Inc. and we now deal with them. Same identical part for less. Consider this, Dynacorn makes a complete 69 body so the parts have to fit up to each other. We have had great luck with their parts. I can sell parts from DII for much less than Goodmark and they all carry a satisfaction guarantee. I am not here to sell parts, but I know what it's like to build a car on a budget and am tired of seeing some suppliers stuff their pockets because of a strong restoration market.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

I do agree with you on some of that. how long ago did you order your parts? within the last year they have come out with a lot of new stampings (decklids, doorskins, etc). it was well known throughout the industry that until about a year and a half ago, the doorskins from one side of the car to the other, were almost a quarter inch different in length. this has now been taken care of. most of Goodmark's (I did say most) parts, that they stamp are made in the USA. Dynacorn is 100
% made in China.

people's best bet is to just ask around and check for themselves as the OP has done. this way you can minimize your headaches

Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The time I ordered parts from Goodmark was a while ago, but it happened recently to a friend of mine. We took pictures of the boxes and parts so I could inquire aboutthe situation to DII. What I found out was that many suppliers are getting parts from essentially the same manufacturer hence the same set of dies. I was given a number of names but will not list them here. Import parts have had serious quality problems in the past and some still exist. Domestic panels are not free from bad fit problems either. I have seen Goodmark panels with poor fit along door seams and fender edges also. I don't know where Rick's or NPD buys their panels maybe they are good. I am just saying that there are some suppliers out there selling you import parts at USA made prices.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Please,

Dynacorn, Goodmark and Year one ALL get their arts from overseas... I have purchased a number of panels all from Goodmark (a company that I really really like) but to thier discredit, EVERY BOX said "Made in Taiwan"...Not only everybox, but every part that has a sticker on it even says "Made in Taiwan" It is almost impossible for anyone to get real, american made musclecar sheetmetal. If you really think that the stuff you are getting is made in the U.S. then the manufacturers have you snowballed and make you pay for it. If you ask anyone of them, they will tell you that theproduct they sell is the best because THEY ARE SELLING IT TO YOU... if they told you that "Well, the other company and our company get the parts from the same manufacturer at the same factory using the same dies but thiers is cheaper..." What are you going to do? You are going to buy from the other manufacturer because it is less expensive... The difference may be the customer service that you receive from one company to the next,but other than that it is b.s.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

YEAH!!!