Shaker placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Shaker placement

I have a 1969 RS that does not have the front shakers installed. I have the new ones and am unsure of where they should go. It appears that the will be tucked in the front of the fender, to the outside of the headlight assembly. I have not tried to force the issue yet. No luck finding a picture of one or a diagram of the placement either. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shaker placement

look at a copy of the assembly manual and it shows placement of both front and rears...

Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WTF are shakers just out of curiosity?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM

shakers were weights set inside the front quarter panel of just convertables(as far as i know). I think they were there to counter balace the lack of strength in the frame because it doesnt have a top. I know most people in the 60's took them out to save weight because they didnt know what they were.. But my question is are they really that important? I know i dont have them in my vert..

Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM

The front shakers are mounted directly behind the headlight towards the fender. They wanted them to be as far out as possible. If you need some pictures, I have just re-installed them in mine and can snap a photo or two.
2 bolts go into the radiator support, one leg mounts (longest leg) where the fender meets the inner well. And the other leg goes through the inner well at the dimple.

I would be interested in knowing how much they help, I do know on a Corvair convert they did eliminate ashake. We tried to run without and at around 75 mph it would pickup a slow shake or swist, putting them back in took care of it. This was after a full restoration so the parts where very tight. However the corvair was know to have a weak front supension support and that could always have been the cause.

Ron

Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Ron,

A picture would be awesome! Thanks for the offer. I have ordered an assembly manual through Rick's which was way to generic to help. Having only recently purchased the car, I am not sure that the right parts are in the fender to mount this properly. I have been working on installing the driver side (lack of battery in the way) and can not get the shaker to seat properly on the 2 feet. I have the feeling there is something missing.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM

I am not sure how clear this is, these are the driver side shaker, hope they help. 2 are looking in from the front and one is looking from behind.
Let me know if you need any more help on this.

Ron

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Great pics Ron! Need to verify that you have a 69. It looks like my units are different- lower legs appear to be a different stagger than the pictured unit. Thanks again! Could not have bought better pics!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Yes it's a 69, there is a left and right shaker, they are reversed. The front is different from the rear as well.
The front as the 2 legs and the two mounts that come straight out that mount to the radiator support. The rear has 2 legs and one mount for the upper.
These are the factory ones on this 69.
Let me know if you need any other pics, I still have the rear ones out and could photo them to confirm.
Ron

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Ron,

If possible, I need 1 more piece of information from you. If you could measure the length of the fender side lower leg I will be able to confirm the part that I have is wrong. My unit measures approximately 5 inches from the bottom of the canister, where the lower leg flange goes underneath, to the bottom of the foot where it rests against the fender well. In your pictures, the right side picture shows this leg as the right lowest portion of the shaker. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Shaker placement