Rubbing Front Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rubbing Front Tires

After driving my car around, I've found that I have a small issue. My tires rub when I hit the slightest bump. My modification to the car is definitely part of the issue. First, I'm running 8x15's in the front. Second, I cut off part of the springs to lower the front a bit. The reason I did this is because I like the tires to fill the wheel well. Before I did this, the car looked as if it had a lift.

The two obvious solutions to prevent this rubbing would be to 1) put in smaller tires or 2) replace the springs with ones I didn't cut. However, is there anything else I can do to prevent them from hitting the fender? For example, is it possible to get a larger a-arm bumper?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

What size and series tires are you running? I guess you could get a larger bumper, but that seems more like compensation, than a real fix. So those 8's in the front aren't rubbing the sidewalls of the tires on your steering linkage? To get around the open wheel well look I swapped out the springs for Eibach 1" drops, then went to a 17 x 7 wheel (also put in baer brakes...I was there already, why not). No doubt, the stock set-up with 14" wheels leaves almost 5" of space between the top of the tire and wheel well lip....not a sporty look at all.

You have a nice ride, I don't think you would regret slapping a pair of Eibach on it and it will give you a good rake.

Last edited by shevrolay; 09-24-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by shevrolay
What size and series tires are you running? I guess you could get a larger bumper, but that seems more like compensation, than a real fix. So those 8's in the front aren't rubbing the sidewalls of the tires on your steering linkage? To get around the open wheel well look I swapped out the springs for Eibach 1" drops, then went to a 17 x 7 wheel (also put in baer brakes...I was there already, why not). No doubt, the stock set-up with 14" wheels leaves almost 5" of space between the top of the tire and wheel well lip....not a sporty look at all.

You have a nice ride, I don't think you would regret slapping a pair of Eibach on it and it will give you a good rake.
I am running 225/60r15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A. The only rubbing I am getting is the top outside portion of the tire hitting the lower inside portion of the fender. In fact, I pulled off the middle most fender bolt because it was tearing up my tires.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

We did it with Hotchkis springs which droped the front end 2" and went with 17x8 rims with a 215/50 R17 tire size. Unlike the stock springs which have several inches of pre-load, these springs have very little pre-load. Basic inprovement is the wire size of the spring and high quality steel which gives a firm but not harsh ride. I think you'll like the look and the improved suspension.
Nice Ride!
Good Luck...

Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM

I have the same problem with the tires and rims I just purchased. I had 14" rims and replaced the drums with disc and moved up to 15" and 225/60 R15. My passenger front tire rubs the back of the wheel well when I turn right, but the driver side is fine. I also hit the top of the fender when I hit a bump. I believe my bump issue is the type of rims I have. The tires mount outward from the rim (Chaos 5s) and stick out a little bit from the well. I am going to go with a smaller tire....1" less. I may have to increase my springs also. Not sure if 1" is going to work.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by pdyoung
Not sure if 1" is going to work.
Thats what she said. (not to me though)

Sorry I couldn't help that one.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

how new are your shocks in the car? i had a good tire rub on my 68 when i would hit a bump and the fix was putting on a new set of shocks on the whole car. i have just stock rallyes with diamondback red line radials.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
how new are your shocks in the car? i had a good tire rub on my 68 when i would hit a bump and the fix was putting on a new set of shocks on the whole car. i have just stock rallyes with diamondback red line radials.
The entire suspension system is new, including the shocks. In fact, before we put the new big block springs on the car, we ended up cutting half a circle off. I wish I didn't do that now. I ended up talking with a local shop that does car restoration and he suggested adding some spacers.

Now I'm debating if I want to get the Hotchkis or Eibach springs or just installing spacers to fix the rubbing issue.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I got really tired of the rubbing tires. Someone at a car rally suggested that I use spacers, so I went to autozone and got a pair of these for a quick short term, cheap solution :

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=540609_0_0_

Yes, yes, I know... I cut off half an inch from the springs, then I add an inch using spacers.

However, it did solve the problem. My tires no longer rub, though they do sit up a bit higher. I think in the long run, I may end up getting stiffer coils or something.