rolls 2-3 feet when shifting to park

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default rolls 2-3 feet when shifting to park

Hey guys- just picked up my dream car a few weeks back and joined the forum today. I have a 68 with a 383 and th350. Restored about a year ago and everything was done well. The only thing wrong is, after shifting to park, it rolls a good 2 or 3 feet before resting.

Not sure if it helps but, one time last week it made a loud grinding noise when trying to start it. Sounded like when the car is running and you engage the starter again. I've probably started it 50 times since I bought it and the grinding only happened once. My first thought was something with the flywheel missing a tooth but, I didn't roll the car at all.... Just hit the key again and it started fine.

Any ideas what the rolling in park could be?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you have the factory, or an aftermarket shifter? It sounds like your linkage may not be adjusted right, to where it puts the linkage far enough forward to hit park completely. There is a park pin that drops into notches on a drum inside the transmission. Park doesn't have anything to do with your flexplate (flywheel), and whatever caused the grinding (re-cranking too fast if the engine didn't start on the first turn perhaps) would be a coincidence. Remove the shifter linkage that's connected to the arm on the trans, put it in park all the way by hand, then adjust the linkage if necessary, till it lines up with the hole on the arm.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear member

That sounds about right 69. I've got an aftermarket shifter that accommodates a variety of different transmissions and because it's so versitle, you really have to pay attention to it's adjustments or you'll set it up for the wrong transmission. One of the warnings I read said that if I set it on X, when it needed to be set on Y, it would ruin the transmission the first time I engaged it...

Chris, what kind of shifter do you have?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Dex

Well there's your problem, you bought an automatic

Do you still have the factory shifter parts? Was it a column to floor conversion? If it was a factory floor shifter, put your factory parts back on and see if the problem arises. That many help isolate it to the aftermarket shifter. Also, contact the company and see if other customers have encountered this same issue.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the replies guys. It has the factory horseshoe shifter.

Can I see and adjust the cable from under the car or, does the console have to come apart to gain access from the top?
Any chance you guys know of a website that would have pics of the adjustment?

thanks again!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Anyone know of a tech article or "how-to" online with pics of how to adjust this? I'm planning to give it a whirl tonight.

thanks