Road trip help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Smile Road trip help

Hello everyone I just created an account right now. My question is I'm going in a few months to pick up the car I have wanted since I was 16. My question is I have heard there is something I can put on the front of the car to protect it from rock chips on the road trip ( I will be driving it form OR to AZ ). I know I could maybe find a bra but is there anything else besides the famous blue tape? lol I Heard that Griot's makes something but I cant find it.

Thanks for the help Richard
Oh is a 1968 SS two owner.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Can't help but it sounds like a sweet car and fun trip,where in Oregon and AZ? I live in WA but was born and raised in Oregon and have also been all over Arizona. Taking the fastest route or up for the scenic route? I know all the best roads from many years of motorcycle touring.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check out plastic dip. The stuff has been around for ever. My dad use to dip his tool handle in it back in the 70's. Now guys paint their whole cars with it. Might be a pain if it gets inside trim. You need to put it on thick and just the high risk areas. If you put it on thin it can be a bear to get off. They also sell a dissolver if it gets into tinny cracks.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/

When GM they have a white wrap they put on the car. You might be able to find a warp place that will wrap it for you near your pickup point.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K
Can't help but it sounds like a sweet car and fun trip,where in Oregon and AZ? I live in WA but was born and raised in Oregon and have also been all over Arizona. Taking the fastest route or up for the scenic route? I know all the best roads from many years of motorcycle touring.
I will be driving from Salem OR to Surprise AZ I have made the trip probably 5 times. I other cars obviously. I was thinking of taking the scenic route this time since I haven don't it yet and have been wanting too.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Check out plastic dip. The stuff has been around for ever. My dad use to dip his tool handle in it back in the 70's. Now guys paint their whole cars with it. Might be a pain if it gets inside trim. You need to put it on thick and just the high risk areas. If you put it on thin it can be a bear to get off. They also sell a dissolver if it gets into tinny cracks.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/

When GM they have a white wrap they put on the car. You might be able to find a warp place that will wrap it for you near your pickup point.
I have used plati dip before Don't really want to do that on this car. I might just buy a Bra and throw it on. I could call GM and see if they have anything. Thanks for the tip

Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 PM

A bra will scratch the crap out of the car, 3M makes a clear wrap product to cover the nose but not sure how it will work on a early Camaro.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 35thLE
A bra will scratch the crap out of the car, 3M makes a clear wrap product to cover the nose but not sure how it will work on a early Camaro.
thanks, you think it would scratch it bad for one trip?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Platinumm00
thanks, you think it would scratch it bad for one trip?
Given the choice I would rather not have a bra, but then I don't drive in the desert so I can't say that may apply to your region.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Quick Reply: Road trip help