Restoring a 67 viny top or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Default Restoring a 67 viny top or not?

I recently acquired a 67 plain Jane from orig owner. 6cyl/auto/ps, butternut yellow, black vinyl top/buckets. It's getting a V-8, probably BB so "correctness" isn't my concern. What I was hoping for were opinions regarding to install a vinyl top or not. I most likely will go with one of the following colors, black, orange, red, slight chance on marina blue. What do you guys think about installing a vinyl top? Most likely the car will be another SS BB clone with many aftermarket goodies, probably sell it shortly after finishing. Do you think a vinyl top will discourage potential buyers? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Restoring a 67 what paint combo?

I would just google 67 camaro pics and find a color you really like, and go for it. If you keep the top i might go red or orange. If not I might even try 2-tone. black on bottom and silver with metalic on top? another thing is how much you put into the body work. Just some thoughts i could go on and on. have fun

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Jcat, so what's your opinion on vinyl tops?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

pretty open about them really. Depends on what look you want. classic muscle car with rally/race style wheels would look good with the top . If I was going to go modern style wheels with low profile tires i would proble go against it. Hard choice, i have 20s on the back and 18s on the front with no vinyl top, some people like it, some dont. I think the wheels setthe car off.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are going to put a vinyl top back on, then I would go with the original yellow color. They look pretty good together. Personally, I don;t much care for vinyl tops (except convertibles), though. Since you are probably going to sell soon anyway, I wouldn't go with the vinyl top. Most people prefer the painted top, as is evident by how many were actually sold with vinyl tops as opposed to the amount without them. Just make sure that the person doing the body work takes extra care to make surethe roof looks like it never had a vinyl top and I'm sure you'll sell it quicker and you'llget more for it in the long run.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I dont care too much for them. When installed incorrectly they trap moisture and crud underneath, causing rust to develop unseen till its too late.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

While I certainly would not want a vinyl top again, I will have to say that my '69 Z/28 looked great with one. Colors were Rallye Green with black Z stripes, black vinyl top and white/black interior, one sharp looking car when freshly washed/waxed. Idid not order it that way, it was sitting on the dealer's lot and I really liked the way it looked. I probably would not give a vinyl top '67-'69 a second look if I were inthe market for one today.
Clyde

Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM

I agree that he vinyl top would look better with more of a "stock" outer appearance, such as rally wheels. But I wanted big brakes to go along with a hipo big block. So I was at a lost until I found some 12" disc brakes that will fit 15" rally wheels on Ebay. I might go that route with a black car and black vinyl top. I'm thinking a black car, blk vinyl, front and rear spoiler, rally wheels. Not sure if I want the SS hood or a cowl induction. RS would be nice also, I am buying all new front sheet metal, grill etc so maybe a few extra bucks for the RS stuff?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Restoring a 67 viny top or not?

well first of all if you know anything about vynle tops you know that is about the first place you find rust to apear.
but you also ask yourself this, what looks more muscle, and the answer is hard top.
do somthing diferent and 2 tone the car, i mean do somthing diferent from everyone else,
make the car unique. as you know when u go to car shows how many black or red or orange
or even blue camaros do u see? if u do somthing diferent then u break the chain of same color cars u see.
well i have tore off a lot of vynle tops and i just did not like the rust under them.
so i would say no to the top ................. just a thought

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Restoring a 67 viny top or not?

ORIGINAL: 1stgenssclone

well first of all if you know anything about vynle tops you know that is about the first place you find rust to apear.
but you also ask yourself this, what looks more muscle, and the answer is hard top.
do somthing diferent and 2 tone the car, i mean do somthing diferent from everyone else,
make the car unique. as you know when u go to car shows how many black or red or orange
or even blue camaros do u see? if u do somthing diferent then u break the chain of same color cars u see.
well i have tore off a lot of vynle tops and i just did not like the rust under them.
so i would say no to the top ................. just a thought
True..for a daily driver from years gone by. Todays resto cars never go out in the rain, at least mine don't and mine never get cleaned with water either. So rust is not a concern for me. In fact this car has some minor rust in the rear bottom qtrs, as most do but that's it, the roof is totally rust free.

Quick Reply: Restoring a 67 viny top or not?