Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Restoration Price

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

ORIGINAL: orocker

ok I will ask a question before I tell you. If you had the chance to put afairly new 346 CU LS1--- 498lb all-aluminum v8 corvette engine with tremec t56 6sp transmission for $3500 would you do it....or would you restore the 350 that's in it? Along with the new engine I would have to change out the rear suspension. Right now it has a stock solid rear axle with a single leaf. Plus this means shifting and I wanted to keep it an automatic.

Not sure if this will happen. A friend of my husbands posted this for sale a few months ago and don't know if he still has it or not.

We sat and had a major pow wow on what to do with the transmission. In think the one in my car is toast. Will tear it apart tomorrow morning. Had to work till 3 today and soon after I got home we got majorly rained out.
well, a real restoration consists of more than just an engine, tranny and rear. it entails pulling the body off the frame, gutting the interior, stripping the body, etc, etc.

doesn't sound like you are looking for a restoration, but more like a restification. one of those can be done for cheap but I wouldn't go around saying that you restored the car just because you did a drivetrain swap. hell, I spent hundreds just on my new wiring on my car, and I did it all myself, and yes I'm one of those people that spent a lot on bolts that no one will ever see unless they are looking to see if it was a full resto or not. all or nothing for me
ummm I was simply asking for an opinion on the engine. I do plan on doing a full restoration.........body and all and as of right now it has no interior.......lol...........We are starting with the engine and trying to figure out what direction to go in. Going to tear it all apart and do as much of the body work ourselves as possible.

ORIGINAL: jonnyNITRO

I would drop in the new motor if it's in running condition. But that's if you don't want to do a true restoration... just have fun with the car. After it's all said and done, do you want to show your car as an original or just a real cool car?

Sure the rear will need some work as well, but so will the shocks and rubbers and wiring for the computerized motor.
Well I think you just helped me make up my mind on what I want to do with the engine. It does run and I want to keep it as original as I can with what's in there. See if we can save the tranny and maybe do a rebuild. This car will be my daily driver so we need to not only restore it but make it fuel efficient.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Default RE: Restoration Price

Ultimately, what I want to do with the car is get it running and looking decent. If every little piece of metal isn't perfect, that's fine with me. I also was thinking about giving the interior a more modern feeling with a CD player in the glove compartment, air bags, etc.