Rechrome or reproduction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Default Rechrome or reproduction?

My 69's front and rear bumpers are dull and fairly well pitted. I believe they are original. Should I replace with reproductions or have them rechromed? I think the reproductions would be less expensive but I have read about issues getting reproductions to fit right. If I rechrome, does anyone know of a place that does a good job at a reasonable price? Any near Chicago?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

if they are originals then pay more to have them rechromed its better in the long run. i put repop bumpers on my 68 and after a year the front chrome is already letting go. the factory stuff is just way better over the aftermarket.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

i had one rechromed and new ones and they lasted about the same time before they fade/ware if the hole car is original then keep them if not flip a coin

Last edited by mikes68; 02-05-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikes68
i had one rechromed and new ones and they lasted about the same time before they fade/ware if the hole car is original then keep them if not flip a coin
Thanks for the feedback. The car is not original so it's really a matter of price and quality.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear member

I asked the same question and I suppose it depends on your pocket book.
To get my original's brought back to showroom quality, it was going to cost me roughly $800 and it came with a lifetime guarantee from a local shop near Detroit.. Reproductions were I think around $300 and because of my pocket at the time, that's what I purchased.. I can tell the weight difference the originals and the reproductions and I'm curious how long the reproductions will last before they start pitting, and when I polish them, I can see the waves where the original's don't have the waves. However, step 2 feet away and you will never see the waves in the reproductions, so honestly, who'd gonna get 6 inches from your bumper and look? Regardless, you can tell the difference between the Originals and the Reproductions.

I did save the originals just because in the back of my mind, I have a feeling I'll be paying that $800 one day. In the meantime, I'll keep lots of wax on them to keep them from pitting. BTW, I had a brand spanking new reproduction mirror that sat in a box on the shelf of my garage for 8 years. When I took it out of the box, it had pitted from just sitting there... They don't make things like they used to.

Last edited by StoveBolts; 02-07-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
To get my original's brought back to showroom quality, it was going to cost me roughly $800 and it came with a lifetime guarantee from a local shop near Detroit.. Reproductions were I think around $300 and because of my pocket at the time, that's what I purchased.. I can tell the weight difference the originals and the reproductions and I'm curious how long the reproductions will last before they start pitting, and when I polish them, I can see the waves where the original's don't have the waves. However, step 2 feet away and you will never see the waves in the reproductions, so honestly, who'd gonna get 6 inches from your bumper and look? Regardless, you can tell the difference between the Originals and the Reproductions.

I did save the originals just because in the back of my mind, I have a feeling I'll be paying that $800 one day. In the meantime, I'll keep lots of wax on them to keep them from pitting. BTW, I had a brand spanking new reproduction mirror that sat in a box on the shelf of my garage for 8 years. When I took it out of the box, it had pitted from just sitting there... They don't make things like they used to.

i argee

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by StoveBolts

Would you mind sharing the name of the shop in Detroit? I was thinking of doing the same thing and buy reproductions while saving the originals.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Crutjd
Would you mind sharing the name of the shop in Detroit? I was thinking of doing the same thing and buy reproductions while saving the originals.
ABC Chrome - Custom Plating - Waterford, Michigan

I called several placed in the Metro Detroit area and these guys sound like they know what they are doing. There are other shops in the area that would have done my bumpers for half the cost, but after talking to this guy he explained the difference in quality. I even had one chrome shop tell me to call him after he found out it was for my Camaro.

Neat part is the guy lives just a few miles from me and he said he would even stop by and pick them up since its hard for me to get to Waterford. Also, he said he could take all the dents our of my stainless steel moldings as well. I spent about 20 hours on my moldings and it would have been worth paying him...

Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM

I ended up buying reproduction bumpers from Classic Industries. They are fairly nice but I can tell the difference from the originals. The originals are slightly thicker. The holes all lined up nicely. I saved the originals in case the reproductions start to go. I will then bit the bullet and go for rechromeing the originals. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

if classic industries get there bumpers from norton expect about a year of use out of them. My 68 really need a front one now. the bumper is only 4 yrs old if that and the chorme is letting go. they didnt do a good job with the copper so the chrome didnt stick.

Quick Reply: Rechrome or reproduction?