Purchase of 68

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Default Purchase of 68

Hey Guys - I am about to embark on as close as I am going to get to my dream car. I just bought a 68 Camaro... The car is currently completely torn apart, and I am having it painted Millenium Yellow and I have already purchased almost a complete new interior from Classic Industries. It has a rebuilt (original) 350 and (I think) the 300 trans. Frame is straight, body is near perfect, no rust, and sounds beautiful when it runs. The VIN tells me it is a true 68, with a factory V8.My question is, how do I know if its a coupe, rs, ss or z28? And if I can't find out based on VIN, what are the differences (other than exterior emblems) between them? Suppose I want to "clone" one or the other (probably an SS) what would I do? I have read about hideaway lights, different bumpers, etc - but what was availalbe in 1968? If I clone anything, I want to clone what would have been a 68. And if I find out I have a true SS or RS, etc, I want to rebuild it accordingly...

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Purchase of 68

Blue, check this out. Not all the answers are there but its a start. Welcome to the forums BTW, post up some pic's when you get a chance.
https://camaroforums.com/m_57787/tm.htm

Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Cool thanks. I guess my primary question was exterior... Other than emblems / stripes, what were the exterior differences... I couldn't find that answer on the site. Headlights, bumber, etc...

Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

OK, If its the original 350 its not a Z28, they only came with a 302 during the first gen. Also, for extarior stuff the paint stripes and the dual exhaust were Z28 options, for more info you might want to get the white book.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluemotev

Cool thanks. I guess my primary question was exterior... Other than emblems / stripes, what were the exterior differences... I couldn't find that answer on the site. Headlights, bumber, etc...
there are just too many possible combos, even for the Z-28, to really list them all. you should probably just pick up some reference material so you can have it with you

Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 AM

OK Cool thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. The car should be done out of the body shop soon. Once complete it will need new wheels/tires and some interior work. I'll post pics when I get them...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Hey guys - I need some help here. I think I just blew up my car. I know this sounds really stupid and remedial, but I think I might have hooked the battery up backwards. After I hooked it up, there was a loud pop, and a small flame in the dash... Yeah, really bad. So, I still can't figure out exactly what cable is pos and which is neg. They are both black, and nothing seems to make sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is one thick cable that goes directly from terminal to the alternator. It is bolted into the alternator at the bottom right (bottom passenger side, looking at it from the windshield forward).

The second cable, is thinner than the first one, and goes directly to the starter. What is confusing me is that this cable also seems to have a small wire running to a junction behind the passenger headlight. What is really confusing me, is that this small wire seems to be bolted into the chassis. I can't tell if it is a rubber barrier there, but why would a positive connection be bolted into the chassis?

So, which is Pos and which is neg? The one going directly into the starter or the one bolted to the alternator?

Thanks in advance...