Potential new camaro guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Default Potential new camaro guy

I've always wanted a first gen camaro and have finally talked myself into getting one. After a looking for a few months, I think Ive found "The One". It claims to be a frame off restore, but not original. I've looked on this site for a how to when buying one, but so far haven't found it. Ive probably looked at alot of them, but what are somethings I need to look at when getting into this to avoid buying a lemon?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Future Camaro Owner, to the Club.
You should read up over at Camaro Research Group on 1st Gen Camaros for OE information and compare them to the potential new buy.
Everything you wanted to know is there and ask questions here also.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

OP

you want to be able to get under the car when you go see it. I bring ramps

The CRG site has all the 411 on what a specific model or options are and breaks down how to read VIN and cowl tag 411 which is very helpful if yo want a "real" xyz model

Regardless of what kind of 1st gen you are looking for you need to get a solid look from up top, inside & under the car. Look for rust, especially repairs done "over" rust. While new undercoat is good...it "can" be covering crap so you need to look carefully.

You will get more "accurate" 411 buying PP vs consignment place.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear member

Welcome aboard .If you are looking for a Camaro just continue to do your research .And join a local club as well .That way you are even more knowledgeable on what you are looking for and what you can afford .Whether used and or kit car .Good luck to you.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to find out who restored it and what kind of rep do they have. An armature restoration can look good but have a lot of sins under the paint and under coating. Was it restore to sell or keep? If the point of the restore is not make profit you can almost guaranty short cuts.

If you are looking at high end cars having a camaro consultant take a look at it may be very worth while. Even if he finds stuff you don't care about it may effect the value of the car.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 AM

Well I did it. It is a frame off restore, but there are a few things that I want to get fixed. Maybe you guys can tell me how hard it will be to do this:

1) Gas gauge, odometer and speedometer don't work
2) Does not have a tach
3) Headlight doors wont move
4) Temp does not appear to come up/no heat. Replace thermostat??
5) They stopped the exhaust up under the car in front of the gas tank. Is there a good reason for that?
6) Small oil leak

Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

1. the speedo cable from trans to speedo may be broken or the "driven" gear in the bullet that goes into tranny is missing or broken...or the speedo itself is broken. Do you have stock or aftermarket gauges?
2. you can install either a re-pop "dash" tach or one mounted on steering column or in a gauge pod above console
3.headlight doors for RS option can have several reasons why they don't work. Originals were vacuum operated and aftermarket ones can be electric so you will have to find out why/what is wrong with either
4. Confirm you have heater hoses going to the firewall. Heater core may be bypassed because it leaks
5. Exhaust should run either straight out back of bumper aka "pee shooter" tips or turn downs behind rear tire. A muffler shop can do either
6. oil leak...could be anything. wipe everything clean, drive and then look under car to see if you can see source of leak

Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM

I looked for a thread on this and didn't find one. Whats the consensus on historic plates? I don't intend to drive this much, but I do want to take on a date with the wife or church on sunday and occasionally to work. Can I do that without fear of the popo?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear member

I would run regular and vanity plates .That way you can run it every day with no issues ..On some of other stuff you can if you are mechanically inclined .Get yourself a Chiltons manual for one then there assembly manuals as well. I would also join a local cub in your area as well .That way you have another source of knowledge as well as the net.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by badal38257
I looked for a thread on this and didn't find one. Whats the consensus on historic plates? I don't intend to drive this much, but I do want to take on a date with the wife or church on sunday and occasionally to work. Can I do that without fear of the popo?
I think it depends a lot on where you live but if you're not daily driving it the same route everyday it's probably not a problem,if you did get pulled over you can say you were working on it and doing a road test drive.
I live is SW Washington state and see a lot of those plates around,at least here abouts I don't think the cops pay much attention to them as long as you don't give them some other reason to pull you over.

Quick Reply: Potential new camaro guy