Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Is this possible?

im trying to give the kid good advice. a blower is not and will never be a turbo. we need to use the proper terms here. this isnt a personal battlefield, ur just being sensitive if u think so.

the fact is, a car like that could be built (and built right) for way less than 100k. if he wants to do it, the 100k comments will scare him off. a TT 454 isnt all that uncommon.

the fact is, a built 454 can be had from anywhere. youngster, if you want a TT 454 dont go witha motor that came with a supercharger. if u want to stay with the blower and go with nitrous the motor ur looking it would bea good choice. the build costs on all these motors will be about the same no matter what you do. dont buy a motor that isnt setup the way you want it or you may end up spending that much money.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:45 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I dont think it was mean as a personal thing.... Anyways, you are right, a blower isnt a turbo nor is it a supercharger (somebody correct me if I am wrong, I wont take it personal... I promise) a blower is mearly a piece of the supercharged system....
However, to build a car like that will be big bucks. Lets assume that the car is all stock, a first gen. To handle that type or power almost all moving parts will have to be updated/graded. The suspention to handle the weight and retain drivability, the rear end to handle the torque, the interior (not seats and headliner - controls I am talking about) shifter etc... I am sure he will want new guages. I know me, like most guys will want to make it look good as well, so paint and body work, maybe a fiberglass front clip?The list goes on.
I think the point is that it will all add up. So as a general rule take whatever computations you have on paper and multiply by 3, this will give you a closer to real budget. Unless you want a car that is all go and no show. In that case 40 to 50 k is realistic, but it wont last long. So, 100k is slightly inflated but its closer to actual cost involved that 50k.
I agree that this might be more than you bargained for.A project like this, at least in my opinion is for guys that want to make money from races. Like, as a profession or the guys who have way too much money and free time.
just my 2 cents.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

.....a blower isnt a turbo nor is it a supercharger (somebody correct me if I am wrong, I wont take it personal... I promise) a blower is mearly a piece of the supercharged system....
I belive you are right on that. A supercharger has a blower in it.

I also found this info:

Superchargers and Turbos (turbosuperchargers) both have advantages and disadvantages.

Supercharger - Pro's
Instant boost (positive displacement units)
Very even boost levels
relatively easy to emission certify
easier to package

Supercharger - Con's
Constant drag on motor (even with bypass)
lower adiabatic efficiency
lower power/boost level

Turbochargers - Pro's
High adiabatic efficiency
Low drag on motor off boost
amazing sound
High power/boost level

Turbochargers - Con's
Boost lag
uneven torque output
difficult to get emission certified
more difficult to package

Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Ninja Administrator

ive always used blower to refer to a roots style supercharger, and "supercharger" to refer to a centrifugal or twin screw (something that has a compression system). the roots is basically just a fan, and it is very inefficient. the other two compress the air so there is less drag on the motor per unit boost.

i dont know if thats technically correct tho.

and my price was the performance only. if he wants to make it an all out show car with a powerplant like that then yes, 100k is reasonable.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

yes, a blower, supercharger and turbo are all different types of power add-ons. they all have their good points and bad points but I don't think anyone would ever confuse the 3

maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but was he not asking if he could put a blower AND nitrous on that blower motor? this is where I was saying that if that is the case, it would have to be one hell of an exotic set-uo

Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 AM

not exactly what i was asking before was could i put a turbo on a blower motor with nos

Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

yes, a blower, supercharger and turbo are all different types of power add-ons. they all have their good points and bad points but I don't think anyone would ever confuse the 3

maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but was he not asking if he could put a blower AND nitrous on that blower motor? this is where I was saying that if that is the case, it would have to be one hell of an exotic set-uo
blower on blower?

or do u mean turbo on blower? they have some new 4 cyls coming out that they call "twin charged' they are turbo and SC.doing that on a 454 would bepretty labor intensive and really wouldnt reap any gains overa worked blower motor, but yeah, it would be a pretty involved setup.
adding nitrous never has to be exotic tho, just fog some in through the intake or direct port.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:35 PM

will adding a turbo on a supercharged engine do anything to it...i mean will it add any power?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Sorry youngstunner, we tend to go off sometimes. Anyways, I imagine you could put all three (basically) types of power adders on the same mill, turbo, supercharger and nitrous..... but I dont see much of a point.
I would read up on all the different types of power adders as far as differe3ng types of turbo chargers and SC's and the nitrous systems - Edelbrock, Holley and NOS (which is Holley) all make Nitrous systems. Once you learn more you will understand why we couldnt give you a yes or no answer to your actual question.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Youngstunter40

will adding a turbo on a supercharged engine do anything to it...i mean will it add any power?
1969 SS, my bad, i didnt actually think this was being asked [sm=insomnia.gif]