Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Is this possible?

Hi everyone i just signed up today and im planning on starting my next project. I'm 17 and i went from Tuner (not as exciting) and my uncle got me started in muscle cars.

Im looking for a 1967-69 Camaro and this is the engine that I plan on putting in it: http://www.southstatespeed.com/pages/454.htm

My question is; does anyone know if I can install a turbocharger on this engine along with a NOS system? Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Is this possible?

If you installed a turbo and nos on that motor, I think the car wouldbe so fast it would turn inside out when you stepped on the gas.
just kidding with you.
It has a blower (supercharger) on it already, why would you want a turbo also? Nitrous is more realistic for it. You are going to spend ALOT making all that work on an almost 40 y/o car though. I has been done.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have to question why you would want to do that? not to be an ***, but I think you're just asking this question without really knowing what you're getting into and just like to be a dreamer (not that it is such a bad thing)

at your age I have to highly doubt that you have the knowledge to tune an engine like that, even with out the extras that you want on it. an engine like that has the hardest time staying tuned correctly, by even the most knowledgeable builders. also at your age, I am curious what you do to be able to fund a project like this?

now that I've kind of shot you down (sorry about that), I will answer your question. yes, anything is possible if you have the money to do it and that car would cost you over $100,000.00 to build

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM

well it was just a thought that ran through my mind whether id do it or not.....probably not. I think that the engine alone is enough power to run it down the drag strip witha couple of buddies on the weekend.

I've been working at my dad's office for about four years working on computer programming and now work at C.A.T.doing the same thing for them and on the weekends i lay flooring.I havent spent a lick of money on anything i dont need which has helped out alot to pursue my future projects. Even though i want to do alot of stuff to the car, ill probably stop at the motor and maybe hook it up with NOS ill be pretty content with that.

But im glad that you guys were able to help me

Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Ninja Administrator

it wont cost 100k. And maintaining the motor ONCE its installed wont be too difficult. its just a bigass crate motor with a blower on it, i mean seriously, those things were dimea dozen at one point in time. The rest of the mod list is nothing but a claim to using good parts.

I bet it could be done for 50-60K, but at 17, good luck with that

Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Ya thats y i want to start on itASAP with the money ive got saved up from everything and start on the project with what i got and get what i can done, save up $ and eventually get this thing done

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I dont know whether or not you can use a turbo with a blower, but you really wouldnt want to. If you could it would be a race car only and all but useless anywhere but on a track. A straight very long, long track! Besides leave the turbos to the other kids and their Hondas. Blowers are for the big boys and the big toys!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

it wont cost 100k. And maintaining the motor ONCE its installed wont be too difficult. its just a bigass crate motor with a blower on it, i mean seriously, those things were dimea dozen at one point in time. The rest of the mod list is nothing but a claim to using good parts.

just the base engine he asked about was $15k, now add nitrous and a blower (which would have to be some exotic set-up) and your taking around $25k in engine alone. a trans that would back that up is going to be at leasta couple of grand. you aren't going to put a stock rearend behind that so you are talking thousands more there. a front frame to be stiff enough to handle all that is going to run you into the thousands and that has to be tied into the rear properly (again this couldn't be of stock configuration either). the rear suspension would have to be tweaked for thousands more.

now after all this, are you going to just put that type of mill in a ****ty body and interior? I think not.

I think only a jackass would buy an engine like that and stick it in a stock car. all you would do is break everything else in the car. also, anyone that spends that type of money on an engine usually does the entire car the "right" way to showcase that beautiful engine bay

so $100k really isn't out of the ballpark. $50k to 60k is what it cost just to build a nice small block car the right way these days. you can always cut corners and do it the cheap way though, and why do something at all if you're not going to do it right?

Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

just the base engine he asked about was $15k, now add nitrous and a blower (which would have to be some exotic set-up) and your taking around $25k in engine alone. a trans that would back that up is going to be at leasta couple of grand. you aren't going to put a stock rearend behind that so you are talking thousands more there. a front frame to be stiff enough to handle all that is going to run you into the thousands and that has to be tied into the rear properly (again this couldn't be of stock configuration either). the rear suspension would have to be tweaked for thousands more.

now after all this, are you going to just put that type of mill in a ****ty body and interior? I think not.

I think only a jackass would buy an engine like that and stick it in a stock car. all you would do is break everything else in the car. also, anyone that spends that type of money on an engine usually does the entire car the "right" way to showcase that beautiful engine bay

so $100k really isn't out of the ballpark. $50k to 60k is what it cost just to build a nice small block car the right way these days. you can always cut corners and do it the cheap way though, and why do something at all if you're not going to do it right?
Im really trying hard not to be a ****, but your making it difficult on me. do you know anything about superchargers and nitrous?

its already got a blower. to add nitrous to it would only cost 1500 if you do top of the line with all the goodies, so we are talking 16k for the motor, 25 is ridiculous. seriously, 10k for a nitrous setup? they have nitrous kits which will work just fine for under 500 bucks.

a 1st gen roller can be had for relatively cheap. not sure exactly, but i know i could have bought a completely rebuilt yenko clone with a 427 for 35k, so the roller will have to be substantially cheaper.but worst case we are then talking in the neighborhood of 50K WORST case. it coult be done way cheaper than that even, and there are guys even around here who could support a motor like that in their rides. dont act like it needs special care just because its big and shiney. It is just a crate with a blower, nothing new, nothing special, nothing "exotic". from there, u need to find a tranny to handle it, if u spend more than 10k on a tranny for that thing ur ajackass, and a rear end, which is 2k. do the work urself andas hard as i tried i still couldnt touch 100k.

you are treating this engine as if it is a 1200hp race only motor with 2 speeds: stop and GOOOOOOO! its a friggin turn key, made to be impressive but managable. the most difficult part will be to find a 69 roller or otherwise for a decent price. a little bit of chassis work (not a completely new one ) is all thats required.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

yes, nitrous is the cheaper mod butdo you know of a turbo set-up that is just a bolt on for an engine like that? I don't think so

when I said add nitrous and a "blower", I meant add nitrous and a "turbo" like he was taking about in his original thread.

as far as the stop and GOOOOOO!!! comment goes, I just can't understand why anyone builds a car with gobs of torque and HP and puts it behind a otherwise stock drivetrain.

I am all done with this thread now because you are kind of turning this into a personal battlefield, and I try to refrain from that type of behavior on this forum

this thread wasn't about us. it was about a new member asking a simple question

sorry Youngstunter that this thread went this way. stick around a while and you can get some good advice on this forum