Points vs. HEI Ignition

Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Post Points vs. HEI Ignition

Hi everyone, new to the Camaro forum.

I recently picked up a 68' standard from my father in law and i am eager to get crackin on it, it already has a 400 sbc and front disc conversion. But it is going to be a full restore car but i want to get it running good and healthy so i can drive it if i get the itch while im working on it. I have been out of the car business for awhile so i am trying to refreash myself on some things.

I have done a lot of reading about the HEI ignition upgrade from that irritating points ignition and it sounds pretty good. My main question what all do i need, harnees, no harness. . . . etc. Just looking to get some insight from the pros of camaros.

Also, if you guys think i should stay with points let me know what i should do.

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Better performance, more instant starting, and never having to fiddle with it are some of the things you'll benefit from having the HEI. Toss the points ignition, it's a thing of the past. Your current ignition is hooked up via a resistance wire supplying 9~10 volts to the coil. With the HEI, you need to run a new full 12 volt wire. You'll also need new HEI type plug wires. You can then open up your spark plug gaps to .045 for a bigger spark. Might as well replace the plugs too if they're old.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM

So should i get the whole distributor? I found an Accel points eliminator kit. would i be alright doing that if i change the plugs and plug wires too, or should i just fork out the couple extra bucks and get the whole distributor.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you want to convert your existing distributor over to electronic, then go with Pertronix. I'd stay away from the Accel. Between the two, it depends on what you're after. If you want to keep the vintage look, convert yours. If originality isn't a big factor, I'd go with HEI since it gives the engine a cleaner look (no separate coil). Keep in mind, if you convert yours, you're working with a 44+ year old distributor, with possible worn bushings/shaft. Worn bushings will make your ignition timing "walk". Check the integrity of your distributor (give the shaft a wiggle test) before making a choice.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Is this what your talking about here??

Pertronix 91144A Pertronix Ignitor II Kits

Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah that's the one. On the flip side, for another 15 bux you can get a complete MSD HEI distributor: MSD Street Fire HEI Distributors 8362 - SummitRacing.com
Again, make sure your existing distributor is worth messing with if converting it is your choice.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Well now that seems it might be easier. I also read somewhere about clearance issues hitting the firewall. I do not recall what distributor they were talking about though. Should that be an issue?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The HEI distributor is bigger around than the stock one, and I have heard some speculate there may be firewall clearance issues. I can tell you this though, I helped my brother put an HEI on the 327 in his 68, and it slipped in just fine with a little firewall clearance to spare.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM

i guess we will have to just wait and find out. Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Whichever one you go with, I'm sure you'll be happy with electronic. My brother's was a perfect example of before and after. With the points, the engine would start after a rotation or two. After the HEI, it started with a tap of the key. We both said whoa at the same time when that happened, the difference was that noticeable!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Points vs. HEI Ignition