Passenger Floor Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Passenger Floor Repair

I have a 67 and have had the car stripped and painted. The shop it was at did not tell me there were pinholes in the floorboard at the passenger's feet. It has already been painted but I would like to seal it and not cut it out. Looking for any recommendations. It was not evident until I put a light under the car.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd think the floor would be thinner where the pin holes are. But If it feels strong and solid, I would just smear some seam sealer into the holes.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The floor is strong not too compromised. I am disappointed that the body shop it was at did not recommend the repair at the time. Now I just want to get this thing on the road. I will give that a try as I am just looking to keep water out before I put the interior back in.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear member

I used bedliner on the floor of mine 1979 Z-28 RS

Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That is a great idea.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My vote is 2 part epoxy seam sealer and POR-15 over the top. Bed liner is what I would use on new or non-rusted floor. POR-15 or Eastwoods Encapsulator is a sealer is designed to stop rust. It takes heavy grinding to remove Rust 100%. with pin holes there is no way to get all the rust out from the surface of the metal. You really want a sealer that will not allow even the smallest amount of oxygen in. Without Oxygen rust can not grow. With enough coats you can POR-15 right over top of rust and it is a permanent repair as long as the sealer remains intact.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Passenger floor repair

That's a good idea too. I should have mentioned that the car was stripped and painted inside and out. I am not 100% that it was treated. I do have POR-15 already so maybe I will treat the area before I seal it.
I am not happy that it was not brought up or repaired at that time it was in the body shop. Could have been taken care of at the time.

I do have one other issue and that is a hole that was cut in the hump by a previous owner. I also need to make this repair as simple as possible. Not sure the reason for this hole.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 AM

I too have pinholes in the passenger floorboard (also in the trunk area towards the back above the gas tank). I'm currently removing all the old seam sealer and prepping the interior floor for POR-15. So what i'm hearing is that i can Prep then POR-15 then go over pinholes with seam sealer? I plan on using some type of undercoating as well. Oh and I also have a large cut out on the transmission hump.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I think Gorn was saying to use seam sealer first and then POR-15 overtop of that. I am also assuming that you use seam sealer for the floor pan plugs as well. I found one old one and was surprised that the epoxy was on top of the plug and not under it to keep it in. Any advice on this as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM

I have a slightly larger hole to deal with

Quick Reply: Passenger Floor Repair