Original 6 cyl or go with Big Block??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Default Original 6 cyl or go with Big Block??

Can't seam to get a grip on the best way to proceed. I found a base 67 Camaro RS with a straighty 6 cyl. in pretty decent shape. I've completely disassembled and taken down to metal, engine and trany pulled. In the process I never thought much about it but ran the numbers and this car has all matching numbers for a RS with the original 6 cyl and 4 speed manual transmission (floor shifter). Found out that this was pretty rare. So my dilemma is do I go with my initial plan of V8, 4 speed, and 12 bolt or does the rarity of this original car make it worth more than the usual 6 cyl with powerglides?

I've been out of the car scene for a while and this is my first build in 15 years so any input is appreciatted.

I see topics all the time questioning original 6cyl conversion to V8 and the general consensus seems to be up to what the owner preferred and if this was a regular original 6cyl I wouldnt hesitate, especially since I already have a big block available, but the RS and 4 speed has me second guessing.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved your thread to where it belongs, in the 1st gen section.
It depends on what you're after. Do you want a performance car, not worrying as much about originality, or want an unmolested top dollar (for what your model could bring) car? Honestly, an all original 6 cylinder car has a certain neatness about it. When was the last time you saw one at a show or cruise night? Sure, it's no hot rod, but again, that depends on what you expect to get out of the car. Another option is to build up your V8 car, and put the 6 banger in safe storage. As a buyer, I would want the original engine, just because you never know how much of a future difference in value having it might make.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Personally,if I bought the car to go cruising around in with a big V8 in it,I would fit the bb and enjoy it.Just make sure when you do the conversion that everything you change can be re-fitted if you decide to put it back to origional in the future for whatever reason.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Right now there is not much market all original 6's. They get a lot of attention at a sale but guys just do not put the money down for them. No way to tell the future.

I am with these guys, crate up the 6 and have fun with the car. Just don't get the sawsall out and start building a hotrod. You can still have a blast with bolt-on that can later be unbolted

Old 12-14-2013, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed. Whatever you do... save the original engine.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the input. My original plan was drop n the BB, beef up suspension and add A/C. After reading ur opinions I'm gonna stick to that and crate up the original 6. Just bolt on with no cutting involved. Will send pics once I get some.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the right way to go. I would think if , when you ever decide to sell that you'd have a greater chance of doing so and potentially have a left over BB to put in something else. Looking forward to some pics.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Pat. Congrats on the Camaro.
Yes, pretty rare for the present options.
Good idea to keep everything replaced.
You will need BBC frame mounts, rad and coresponding shroud, hoses, trans crossmember, BBC Z-bar, accelerator linkage, and accessory brackets, belts and pulleys.

I did not mention heater core, and I have seen where some owners have taken and used SBC frame mounts and left the OE L6/SBC heater core and installed a BBC. Only problem is getting another cover and and punching holes for the BBC core tubes.
Drvr header, to say the least, was a PIA and close, but the owners accepted the risk.
Install header first, then drop in engine.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Keep old motor put big block in have fun

Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the others, I would even go as far as to prep the block and rebuild the motor and if you have room get it all dressed out on the engine stand and leave it there for looks. If not then grease it up and crate it up for safe keeping. I pulled out the orginal 327 out of my 68 and dropped in another engine to have my fun with, once it is all said and done I can still put the orginal back in if I wanted to. Keep us updated on your BB project.

Quick Reply: Original 6 cyl or go with Big Block??