Old 68 Camaro Pic.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Seeing your old camaro makes me think of a buddy i talk to alot at the weekly cruise in. when he got his license in the 70's he always showed his parents first car prospects and they were all big block camaros, novas, chevelles etc. His parents said no way so he finnaly found a 69 camaro with a "puny small block" he was dissapointed he didnt get a big block. turns out he had a #s matching Z28 and he still has it today.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Bandit63
It didn't look like that when I got it. I gave $1000.00 for it. It had a crappy black paint job, I stripped it to bare metal and got it painted for $350.00. I bought the big block from a buddy for $200.00 and me and him put it in. Had it about three years and sold it for $3000.00. It was "fun" to drive in the snow with those 50's on the back. LOL. Yeah, I flip flopped on the colors of the two cars..........
Man, you must have had two paper routes then to come up with $1,000 and stayed away from the watchamacallits and slurpies lol! That's awesome!

I grew up in Spokane Washington and 1st gen Fbodies were hard to find. For some reason, you could find 69-72 Chevelle's for nickles, I even bought a numbers matching, bone stock, low mileage, original everything 72 Nova RS for $600 back in 85, but we just didn't have the Camaro's and when you did see them, they were $1,500 - $2,500, well out of my price range. Heck, if somebody wanted a ride across town, they'de better have a buck for gas or we weren't going anywhere LOL!

I'd of given my left nut back then for that car

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Enjoy seeing the retro pics!
I graduated HS in '88 and if you were a guy in HS during the mid 80's a 1st generation camaro or mustang was king. I wanted one so bad but couldn't afford one. The guys that had nice ones had well to do parents. Decent ones were around 2500 and super nice ones around 5000 at that time. I made around $85 a week working most days after school and Sat. at a old school curb-service diner. No credit, having to pay my own insurance, etc, etc that number seemed like a mountain of money to me at the time.
I had to wait till I was 40 to get mine and it had alot to do with the memory's of my HS days.