ok i already searched

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ok i already searched

will a 68 standard v-8 harness work on a 67 standard v-8....sounds dumb but i cant find my old manuals and i need to decide on buying a 68 harness quickly....any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: ok i already searched

I don't see why it wouldn't, I had a 68 cutlass and the harness worked on my 74 camaro.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sick!!! you gotta love the general.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

why wouldn't you buy a 67 harness for a 67?

you can make anything work but chances are that after pulling out a 40 year old harness and adapting it to another car, you would be better off saving yourself some headaches and just buying a new one anyway. chances are that there are some corroded ends on a lot of the wires anyway and I would be shocked if some asshat didn't chop up a lot of the original harness through the years anyway

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

69 is right. It would work, but the wires are most likely oiled or cracked, leading to sparking and if the connectors are old and hard, they'll crack or break off. Unless you're getting it for $10, don't bother. Also the resistance of thse old wires is going to be much higher than a set of new wires. Better wire stranding technology these days and the PVC coatings are more heat resistant.

For my '67 I bought several spools of wire, (well, I had some extra from my old shop) and wired the entire car myself. I relocated the junk fusebox to inside the glovebox and ran heavier gauge wires for less resistance. But, that's more than most would want to do.
Buy a Painless harness and save yourself a ton of trouble and skinned knuckles!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

maybe ill get it for 15 bucks and 5 to ship....i really need the bulkhead and a schematic....then i can wire it with no issues. i really dont want to buy a new harness then i cant afford nothing till next paycheck.........i have a long list of things that need to be purchased........i tried to get one here but no luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well as my previous post stated i dont have too much money and i saw a nice clean 68 one for sale and cheap......now i think i can recall that the diagrams showed the harnesses almost identical..........i need to save my scratch for things for the project......i probabably can not afford another 67 like this but it's gonna be bare bones status. trying to save money but still get quality stuff.....now if i told you the harness was from a Mustang or something then we'd have an issue.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Check with ricks www.rickscamaro.com They have alot of dofferent harnesses, even just the motor ones.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 420GOAT

maybe ill get it for 15 bucks and 5 to ship....i really need the bulkhead and a schematic....then i can wire it with no issues. i really dont want to buy a new harness then i cant afford nothing till next paycheck.........i have a long list of things that need to be purchased........i tried to get one here but no luck.
I can understand your lakc of funds but let me tell you something. if you skimp here, it will be one of your biggest headaches in the car. suspensions are straight forward, bodywork is very easy to see when it goes bad (expensive to fix right though), engine problems are easily diagnosed, but electrical gremlins............hardest thing to find and fix and that's if you even know what you're doing. if you have to pat someone to find and fix it, you usually have to write them a blank check because there is no way to give an estimate on times

you should trust me on this one, because that $20.00 harness is going to cost you more than $20.00 in the first 20 minutes of a shop troubleshooting a problem on it once you get it in your car

Old 05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i agree on the problem with skimping trust me i've worked on enough cars to see what happens......but to my original question, are the feeds the same......is the 68 harness essentially a 67 with added on side indicators? i strongly believe so and worth the cheap gamble....im going to the local hi-po swapmeet sundayand will buy a diagram. then ill truly know, i was trying to coax an answer out of someone and the best one was a guy who used a cutlass harness on his 74.........that's what i want to know......gremlins are a pain in the ***, but after extensively working on an 89 TPI Iroc, im not afraid of nor have i ever been of a first gen harness.

Quick Reply: ok i already searched